How do you compost your chicken poo?

Basia

Sprout
Reaction score
I have red worms eating my garbage :)
Can I toss the Bunny poo and hay/litter into the worm bin?
(I know the Quail and Chicken poo have too much ammonia)

1acrefarm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Basia said:
Bunny litter is excellent for worms.

Reaction score
Basia said:
Actually, if you use deep litter in your chicken coop and wait until the pine shavings are like sand, you can even put some of your chicken litter into your worm bins with your garbage. I just add some brown paper feed sacks to the top of the bin for bedding and after a few months the litter is part of the worm castings too.

My preference however is to have two worm bins and put kitchen scraps in one and chicken litter in the other - there is just something about being able to leave the chicken litter alone with the worms for a few months and not have to disturb it in order to add more kitchen scraps. :/

Wattles

Leafing Out
Reaction score
silkiechicken said:
I just leave it where it lays and move the coop! Then I dig holes into it and plant some nitrogen loving thingsl like zucchinis.
what a great idea!

Tara

OCMG

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I just went to a lecture about organic gardening and the speaker, I cannot remember his name told us a story how his grandmother made him pick up poo on their farm and fill her nylon stockings with it, he then tied a knot in the top and hung it over a bucket filled with water.

Every day his job was to stir it just a few turns and after about one week he added a like molasses just before applying it, he poured it in a pressure sprayer and sprayed all the vegetables getting the leaves and all.
It killed the bad bugs fed the good ones a fertilized the plants. He said you can do the same thing for your grass one quart of poo tea will cover 1000 sq ft.

:watering

I found the name of the man that told us about the poo tea:
Paul Tukey You can search him and find out more about him if you like.

COgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm new here, over from BYC. I've had my chickens for almost a year and I use the deep litter method. I hope that what I'm trying will work, I moved my garden to virgin soil this year, made raised beds and then added some of the litter to each bed and have been cultivating it in and watering it daily, for the last week. Will continue to do this for about 2-3 more weeks before planting, am hopeing that it will be "cool" enough by then. Am I on a good track or am I bound to burn? Thanks for any input and I'm really glad this site is here.
Kim

Dilly Girl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I want to compost my coop litter which will be pine shavings and DE. Should I put the compost pile in shade or sun?

Is there anything I should add to this mixture to help composting?
Does this need to be covered?
Can I just toss in coffee grounds, old veggies etc as well?

Thanks in advance.
Dilly girl

Latest posts