How Do You Feel About Green Flowers ?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Green throats in daylilies are a most sought after trait.

I agree, although this one is nothing special and not the best example, the green throat doesn't show well in this pic. 'Little Greenie' has a green throat, that's why it's still in my garden.
DSCN0956.JPG
I've said many times I'm not a big fan of yellow. Why then is it I have so much yellow in my garden, I'm beginning to think I have a split personality :).

Annette

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Speaking of green flowers, the Dogwood tree flowers are always green or yellow-grreen:
http://facts.net/dogwood-tree/
"A Flowering Dogwood Tree’s Flowers Aren’t Flowers

A flowering dogwood tree usually ‘flowers’ in spring. One of the most intriguing of all dogwood tree facts is that what you see on these beautiful trees are not actually blooms at all, but bracts – a type of leaf. These white, pink or scarlet leaves, which look like petals, surround a yellow center, which is in fact the true flower cluster. The purpose of the bracts is to protect the flower clusters while they are still forming, and they only unfold once the flower clusters open. These bracts also attract pollinating insects to the flower clusters."

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
As far as I am concerned, green has just as much of a place in flowers as any other color, black included. I try and make sure my flowers include ALL colors of the rainbow (though brown is a little hard to do, there aren't all that many brown flowers) I tend to favor combinations that seem interesting, striking or unusual for the species (such a small flowered pansies with red included*)

Those orchids look like Phalaenopsis (moth orchids). Like Cattylena, those have a ridiculously plastic nature with regards to color; they've been bred into pretty much every color under the sun, which combined with their general hardiness makes them a really popular choice (I have a plant on my table I bought a week or so ago with a crimson standard and white "lips" So green is not all that surprising.

* For reasons I have never been all that clear on, while red is an extremely common color in the larger flowered pansies, when you go down to the medium to small flowered ones (
a la johnny-jump-up size) red all but disappears from the available palette (I know of only one nursery which carries plants of a mix that includes red and even THERE if I want to fill a 36 space flat with red flowered plant six-packs (and by that I mean "six-packs that have ONE red flowered plant in them) I could not do it.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I believe there are a few flowers that have chocolate accents if not completely brown, like delphiniums, gladiolus and orchids to name a few, but personally I haven't seen a completely brown flower in my travels.
Annette

Latest posts