How Do You Feel About Green Flowers ?

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've had it on good authority that there is no such thing as a "brown" flower in the floral industry.

There are bronze flowers but never suggest to a client that brown flowers will be in his or her bouquet ...

;) Steve

"Chocolate" seems acceptable as a term too.

As I said, there are very rare, the same way that "true" black flowers (as opposed to really, really dark purple) are rare. I think there may be something called Chocolate Soldiers that is chocolate brown (and smells like chocolate too)

As for true black in a purely technical sense it does not exist (as there is no black pigment) However the current front runner is some sort of shrubby gentian relative that grows in Mexico which is functionally black (as in it absorbs everything including far and infrared and ultraviolet). Close runners up include things like some of the pansies, a carnation, some kinds of fava beans, Andean sage and so on.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've had it on good authority that there is no such thing as a "brown" flower in the floral industry.

There are bronze flowers but never suggest to a client that brown flowers will be in his or her bouquet ...

;) Steve
There are brown daylilies. There is no gene for brown buy there are some pretty wild looking flowers. Not sure I actually like them.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
320px-Fractal_Broccoli.jpg

Yum!

digitS'

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know, @aftermidnight .

There was one attempt in my garden to grow cauliflower - way back when. It didn't go well.

This is Romanesco cauliflower and looks like it would be quite a bit different that the white, if looks count ;). Maybe it wouldn't burn in our hot dry summer weather but, then again, broccoli does burn up nearly as bad as that long-ago cauliflower.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grew that Cosmo, it's called chocolate and is supposed to smell like it.
It apparently doesn't reseed like the usual cosmo, it is propagated as a clone, so you have to buy the plant, although Plant World Seeds will sell 4 seeds to a packet for a princely sum.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am friends with the owner of the florist shop in town. I groomed her dog yesterday, when she picked him up she gave me a vase filled with cut orchid stems. The flowers are green with washed out red center ( can not find my camera ). I love orchids but these seem boring to me. I not a fan of green flowers, to me looks almost like stems of leaves. Do you like green flowers ? What is your favorite flower color ? Mine is blue

I'm with you...a green flower is pretty much a non-flower to me. Why bother? Flowers are beautiful due to their many different colors but they have enough green in the leaf and stem to do me for the color green...that blossom should be a different color.

I always think of green flowers as unripened blossoms! :gig

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last night I was watching a show on sleep patterns. They did a interview with a top Dr in the field, sitting on coffee table was a vase of green Hydrangeas.