How Do You Freeze Soup ?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you take a quart of frozen soup out in the morning, you can count on it being at least partially defrosted when you want to eat it. (Notice how Americans tend not to eat soup for breakfast, I wonder why that is ;).)

Sitting in a big bowl on the counter, the melted soup can be dumped into the bowl and either put directly in the microwave or a smaller bowl-full can be taken out and the remainder, covered and put in the fridge.

DW has been making soup in the mornings lately. It's a little odd to have the kitchen filled with steam at sunrise but I'm glad she is interested in doing this. The pot sits on the stove and cools until lunchtime. Then those soup bowls go in the microwave and the remainder goes in the freezer.

Micro :frow Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
The thing I don't like about freezing liquids in bags is they have to be handled very carefully once frozen to make sure you don't break or abrade the sharp bag corner creating a hole/leak that you don't know about till you start to thaw it. One way to overcome this is to freeze the soup in storage containers, then pop out into plastic bags.
Also, in my experience, potatoes in soup don't freeze very well. Maybe I should say they don't taste very good after freezing.
Nyboy, good for you for making a pot of home made chicken soup!

waretrop

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
And when I thaw anything I put it in a bowl or tray while it is still rock hard...Even if it is a piece of chicken or other meat. I don't like anything to drip on counters...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score

waretrop

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
When I freeze things like that I don't leave them in the freezer for very long. Any potatoes show no wear for a short time....

w_r_ranch

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Put it in a tupperware-type container & freeze it. The next day, vacuum pack it & you'll be good to go.

When you're ready to eat it, all you have to do is drop the bag in a pot of boiling water.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Put it in a tupperware-type container & freeze it. The next day, vacuum pack it & you'll be good to go.

When you're ready to eat it, all you have to do is drop the bag in a pot of boiling water.

Welcome back w_r_ranch! Where ya' been? Been missing you!

Latest posts