How do you get a horse out of a pit?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
And there is yet one more example of the myriad of ways horses do their darndest to confound and confuse us in their attempts to commit suicide in a spectacular manner.

Bravo to Teaternic for not going into a blind panic, flailing and kicking and making things worse. Bravo to you and your daughters for keeping cool heads and figuring out how to rescue her from the pit.

How did your daughter know Teaternic was in the pit? Was she already up and found her? or did she just get what I call "that feeling" that something wasn't right and went to go see?

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Quote baymule:
How did your daughter know Teaternic was in the pit? Was she already up and found her? or did she just get what I call "that feeling" that something wasn't right and went to go see?

She, daughter, heard the horse making noise, thrashing around inside the pit, and the other horses began screaming.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Can you just fence off the hole?
Yep, can do that I think it makes sense to build a room over the pit. The pit is walled with precast concrete blocks with Half a block above grade and 2 bolts it the long walls~bolts that would go through the bottom plate of a wall should a person take a mind to build one, can you picture what I'm describing? The horses and cows are in corrals, how she got up front was I find out was one left open.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep, can do that I think it makes sense to build a room over the pit. The pit is walled with precast concrete blocks with Half a block above grade and 2 bolts it the long walls~bolts that would go through the bottom plate of a wall should a person take a mind to build one, can you picture what I'm describing? The horses and cows are in corrals, how she got up front was I find out was one left open.

My grand parents had that setup on the farm. They just had a low roof structure built on top of well pit that hinged on one side. When the pump or pressure tank needed service he just propped the roof up with a pole and was able to go down and work in there. The well pit was in front yard so no worry about live stock getting on it, you will probably need a larger structure to keep them off of it.