How Do You Heat Your Greenhouse?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had natural gas put into my greenhouse and a conventional garage furnace installed about 20 years ago. It hangs from the ceiling.

The furnace isn't a very big thing, 30,000 btu. Probably okay for an insulated 2-car garage kept at 55°f. Fortunately, my 180sqft greenhouse is about a small 1-car garage size. And, I do not run the furnace until mid-March. It does just fine through the spring.

Hope it starts next month!

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's a great idea, Steve. I could see a natural gas (propane for me) garage furnace working very well even for a slightly bigger greenhouse. If I didn't have so darned much wood laying around. . .

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just for piece of mind I plugged a small night light into Thermo cube so I can test it before I actually use it in the greenhouse. To check it all I have to do is look out the window and check the remote thermometer in the house.
jackb
cube.jpg

Circle-M-Farm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I start heating the greenhouse around February and I use a Reddy Heater with a aftermarket pigtail thermostat. I set it at the temp I want and I'm good to go.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just for piece of mind I plugged a small night light into Thermo cube so I can test it before I actually use it in the greenhouse. To check it all I have to do is look out the window and check the remote thermometer in the house.
jackb

I did that with the deep freeze in the barn. A slight glow showing in the window = all is well and the roosters are still frozen. :)