How do you make Sauerkraut? UPDATE..ITS WORKING

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ok making sure I did this right.... I shredded the cabbage after I cleaned it. I layered it into a pot sprinkled salt between each layer until I got the whole cabbage in the pot. Then I tossed the cabbage to evenly coat the salt. I put a plate on top... and this is where I got confused.

It said to squeeze out water?! Should I be seeing actual water?! I see wet spots... dots of wet from moisture. I don't see a gushing puddle!!!

Anyways... I was sooooooooooo concerned about that, that I actually (yes I actually did this... pictures to follow!) put the plate on top of the cabbage and stood and bounced on the plate trying to get more water out of it?!?!

I did then fill a gallon freezer bag with water put it on top of the plate and then put the lid on the pot. It is currently stored above my fridge in the kitchen.

I will check it in another day to look for this scum I must clean.

The site was suggesting a couple weeks to get it right?!

I figured if I liked it when I thought it was done I could can it, even after 2 weeks?! I hope so... I just bought a whole bunch of jars today for it so I can keep it as long as possible for summer BBQ's!!!!

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
:lol:

Well, from what I read you just sorta crush the cabbage as you would with mint leaves for a mint julip. (I love mint julip!! :drool But that is another thread..) I checked my sauerkarut-to-be today and there is a lot more liquid than yesterday. I tasted it and it tastes like salty cabbage with caraway. (To me it was good!)

Good luck with yours. My readings suggest that it go into a cool dark place, that is why it is in the basement pantry. And yes, two weeks was what they suggested to me too.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ok... totally didn't get the photo of me standing on the plate trying to get moisture out... but here is what mine looked like:

sauerkraut1.jpg

sauerkraut2.jpg

sauerkraut4.jpg

sauerkraut5.jpg

I'm guessing when I check tomorrow there will be even more moisture evident. I just wonder about this 'scum' on top?! I was imagining it floating on some liquid like there would be a few inches of it or something, but that is not it at all?!

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I wish I would have seen you standing on that pot! :lol:

I read to use regular salt not iodized salt, and non-metal crock, or plastic food grade pail.

Your version looks like mine did! The foam, I guess we will have to see how much there will be. I assume I will use a spoon to skim the foam off the top.

Good luck to us!! :fl

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
I wish I would have seen you standing on that pot! :lol:

I read to use regular salt not iodized salt, and non-metal crock, or plastic food grade pail.

Your version looks like mine did! The foam, I guess we will have to see how much there will be. I assume I will use a spoon to skim the foam off the top.

Good luck to us!! :fl
DITTO!!! LOL

Report back here ;)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Bad news.... my 'weight' bag burst the other night and flooded my cabbage. I dumped the water mostly, but by last night it smelled funny and began to turn brown. I had to dump it :hit

I will try again one day. :hu

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I will try to do the kosher salt next time... however I didn't think of it, but I had sea salt rather then the iodized I should have used anyways!

Oh welll... here's to another try another day... for now I am OUT of cabbage....

Shoot! I have to go order my food from the church today.... later!

Latest posts