How do you make Sauerkraut? UPDATE..ITS WORKING

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Sorry vfem!! All that work! (You gotta quit standing on your kraut!;)) I better go and check mine out. Good thing for you is that it is pretty easy to make again. Maybe not in time for that bbq though :(.

I used corse sea salt...I hope this works.. it is "la Baleine" brand sea salt.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi there! :frow

When I made Sauerkraut (albeit several years ago) I remember putting in juniper berries & Caraway seeds. I was delicious. I was taught to do it by a German friend who I used to stay with in Germany. :D

:rose Hattie :rose

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi Hattie,

Juniper berries? Yummy! I wonder where they sell those around here? I used caraway seeds and garlic in mine. Being from TX I wonder if jalepeno would work next time?

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Over here we can just buy them in the supermarket in a little jar, along with all you other dried hebs & spices. You don't use many of them so they last for ages. They are also great as part of a dry rub (ground up fine) for pork chops or a roast. When I cook a pice of gammon or boiling bacon I put some in the water along with fresh ginger, myrtle leaves, rosemary, black pepper & lots of parsely stalks. it's very tasty hot but if you let it cool in the water overnight & then drain & chill it is the food of the gods. Use the stock to boil new potatoes (don't add salt though). Oooh! Now I'm seriously hungry! :lol: :gig

:thumbsup

:rose Hattie :rose

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Mmmm! :drool

Thanks Hattie,

It is nice to have your perspective from across the pond!

I will look for juniper berries next trip to the spice aisle! :D

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi Hattie,

Thanks for the link..do you add them during the process or when it is all said and done with?

I added the caraway seeds during the process...still processing.

Oh by the way, it still has a crunch, still tastes salty not sour. There is no foam just a little water in the bottom. :hu

I wonder if it is not warm enough in the basement? The article said cooler and slower the better, but I am going to reread it.

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hey vfem, :frow

My sauerkraut is all moldy. :( I don't know what I did wrong. It smells like sauerkraut, but has mold on the top. I need probiotics, not antibiotics!!

So don't feel so bad!

Maybe I should have mixed in the caraway seeds AFTER it was finished? :hu I also just put a sheet of saran wrap over the cabbage and set the weight bearing water filled bag on top. This may be the reason why too, the plastic.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
bummer :(
I was waiting to hear about this...
just hoped you were grilling brats and eating it by now!

try again maybe it was the cabbage ..are you growing your own? I would wait and make it in the fall was the place you kept it too warm I wonder...hmmm all these questions ...

did you have a plate on top of the kraut ? or just plastic?

I put a small china plate with a tiny weight on top of the kraut to push it down then use a plastic lid on a big glass jar that is used to make pickles or kimchi

I make kimchi more than kraut but it is the same thing more or less fermented sour cabbage

I dont think the caraway seeds matter as to when you put them in? I put them in in the beginning as well same with the juniper berries

kathyschix

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I've had sauerkraut get a little "fuzzy" on top before and to be truthful, I just took that layer off and the rest was OK!

Is it moldy throughout or just on top? I think it can depend on what you have laying on top of it...maybe???

Regards,

Kathy

Latest posts