how do you pronounce

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Boy Pat, that's a good question but I'm a not-so-good answerer . . .

I have just faked it up until this point but a supposedly "authoritative" source provides an answer.

Gotta realize that I didn't really understand the guy's "licorice mint" pronunciation!

I've always said Agastache as tho' it ended with a "she." If I heard correctly, that must be wrong. But then again, the "foeniculum" was so weird that I'm not even goin' to try to fake that one!

Steve

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hey, thanks Steve! That helps.

I can only think there was a problem with the .wav file when the guy is pronouncing foeniculum since that is a very straightforward "normal" botanical Latin word, and should be "fen-ICK-you-lumm" in contrast to the very weird version in that link. <shrug>

I can now pronounce it either Aga-stackee or Aga-stashee, whichever happens to come out of my mouth at any given moment (til now I've usually said both and then added 'or however you're supposed to say it' <g>), secure in the knowledge that either way there is at least one other person out there using that pronounciation :p

Thanks,

Pat

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have pronounced it ag-a-sta'-she

Checking with the dictionary brings up a-ga-stalk'-ee. I'm just guessing here, but I think I've been saying it wrong.

Love, Smart Red

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love some of the latin names for plant genera!

Huechera...I pronounce it like a sneeze

He...CHiraaa <<<Gezundheit!

Latest posts