How do you sharpen your tools?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
WOW!!!
These are great suggestions!!
I have been doing the bare minimum--ya know, putting them away inside the barn or the tool shed or the garage, so they don't sit out in the weather.
I'll let you know if I try any of these ideas. A have just a few REALLY well made tools, including a transplanting shovel and a hand made (GF forged it) really heavy ?? sledge ??--it's a 4 ft' long type of lever that you can move things like cement sidewalk pieces. It would be a shame to let those rust out.
Anybody else?

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
JimWWhite said:
Being a true Neanderthal I use my disc grinder. Does the job done quickly and my hoes, axes, etc. stay sharp. Plus there's a lot of really pretty sparks!!!

But you know, I read an article somewhere a long time ago that recommended taking a 5 gallon bucket and filling it about 3/4's full of course sand and then add a can of 30 wt motor oil to it. When you come in from the garden just dunk it in the bucket and it removes the mud and dirt, gives it a little bit more edge, and coats it with a thin film of oil. I've always meant to try it. Next time I get a pile of creek sand I think I may. Pretty cool, huh?
I'm with you Jim. :throw The only thing about using a grinder is that you have to exercise some self-control and not break the temper. Quench in water after every one or two passes. Don't draw it up to a super sharp edge. It will dull to quickly. Go more for a chisel edge on spades, shovels and such. Real cutting tools, shears knives etc. I do by hand using a set of Arkansas stones. I like sharp tools.

Sidebar-
I was once sharing lodgings with a very good friend. His girlfriend had a gawd awful expensive Buck folder that she asked if I'd sharpen for her. When I opened it it looked as if she had been cutting barbed wire with it. It took almost a week of my spare time. I started with coarse carbide stone and went all the way to an Arkansas hard. When I gave it back to her she opened it and, before I could warn her drew her thumb lightly over the edge. She took one look at the resultant cut, closed the knife and as far as I know never opened it again. Some people just don't like really sharp tools. :hu

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
OldGuy43 said:
Sidebar-
I was once sharing lodgings with a very good friend. His girlfriend had a gawd awful expensive Buck folder that she asked if I'd sharpen for her. When I opened it it looked as if she had been cutting barbed wire with it. It took almost a week of my spare time. I started with coarse carbide stone and went all the way to an Arkansas hard. When I gave it back to her she opened it and, before I could warn her drew her thumb lightly over the edge. She took one look at the resultant cut, closed the knife and as far as I know never opened it again. Some people just don't like really sharp tools. :hu
Hilarious but oh so true.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some folks can't be trusted with a sharp object.

Well, I'm thinking that gal probably learned. She might not felt much like admitting she learned something, but it has to have sunk in. I'm sure she better for the former error. I was once young too...

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ridgerunner said:
Monty you had me there for a moment when you said you sharpen a maul. When I think of maul, I think of some type of hammer like an upholsterer's wooden maul or a type of sledge hammer, then it hit me. A splitting maul.

I don't use a grinder on a true cutting edge, like and ax or blade. The metal gets hardness from heating up and quenching. The chemicals added to the metal to create that special alloy make a difference too but the heating and quenching is part of it. When you heat it up with a grinder you lose some of that hardness so it gets dull quicker. That's why I use a file or stone.

The flip side to this is that it is a lot quicker to sharpen things with a grinder than a file or stone. There is a tradeoff here I'll admit.
Yep, splitting maul, or go-devil if you prefer. I don't have a problem sharpening the ax, hatchet, maul or machetti with the grinder. I don't hold them down full weight or anything. Usually it's a quick brush to freshen the edge and they are good to go. The maul and ax are both on at least their second handles, heck maybe third. I don't look to replace any of them in my lifetime. You just have to use a light touch and keep the edge on. If you let it get to where you have to actually grind it down, you have waited way too long.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
A Splitter Maul is one of those tools that is best bevelled both sides, steep short bevel, and yes nice clean fairly sharp edge. No need to make it sharp enough to shave. First whack or two through a decent round and it'll settle to its normal sharp enough way that'll last until ya whack it too many times. Once a year or so.

Thanky for reminding me, but I do have to sharpen my hatchet. I set and create redwood tinder strips with it. Sharp is much important on the hatchet the way I use it for that. Sharp edge sets in, lift, and a slow tap and down draw to make a paper thin strip for tinder.

I don't much use paper to start my fires.

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Get yourself a good Bastard File set, one that has a flat, 1/2 round and a rat tail in it. A good file set will put a good edge on all your gardening tool.
For putting a good edge on a gardening knife get a good wet stone, just remember that some take oil and others take water as a lubricant. (don't mix them up)

Chris