How do you start a new garden plot?

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
20190217_185709.jpg

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Another view of the hill & shade on it by the pine tree. I think I'm going to remove the fence back to original. Too steep for a garden, I'd think.
20190219_122148.jpg

Then the dying tree, not much ends up green, so it doesn't give much shade.
20190219_125835.jpg

Last, the shade from the rest of the pine trees.
20190219_122042.jpg

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Get somebody to take down your tree. I have a friend who took down a tree with a 2 1/2 ft. diameter for me last Fall.
I had fence damage from a limb from a tree that should have been taken down before we moved to the property. Looks like you, too, could have damage from this tree.
I have had friends take down 5 trees in the last few years. I have another one with a a concave trunk and I saw mushrooms growing at the base last year. It WILL hit my house if I don't get it down soon. My next door neighbor is happy for the wood AS LONG AS it isn't pine, bc he doesn't like pine smoke in his fireplace.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Get somebody to take down your tree. I have a friend who took down a tree with a 2 1/2 ft. diameter for me last Fall.
I had fence damage from a limb from a tree that should have been taken down before we moved to the property. Looks like you, too, could have damage from this tree.
I have had friends take down 5 trees in the last few years. I have another one with a a concave trunk and I saw mushrooms growing at the base last year. It WILL hit my house if I don't get it down soon. My next door neighbor is happy for the wood AS LONG AS it isn't pine, bc he doesn't like pine smoke in his fireplace.

for people who have outdoor firepits it is nice to burn some pine for the smell alone. alas, i can't do smoke of any kind any more... :( i love fires - so relaxing.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score

400-600 to take it down.
It has dropped a lot of the dead in the last 2 years, but none should fall on the tank now.
Its about 3ft diameter.
Been thinking of getting climbing gear and trimming off branches myself, down to the live stuff. Or just tossing up rope and popping off the dead branches...

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
There must be some gardeners that like weeds - not me!

Sure, I fight with them every year. Sometimes, the weeds are bad enough to suppress the plants I'm trying to grow. Chickweed in shade is an example of one that is hard to have around.

Salad vegetables like lettuce are good in the shade. If there is not too much darkness, green onions and vines like beans, squash and cucumbers can grow. Basil seems to appreciate the shade.

Perennial grasses can be a problem in new garden ground, as Ridge' points out. I am willing to use weed killer in ornamental gardens. There was a garden turned over to me once where quack grass had been allowed to take over. I used that piece of ground for a flower garden the first year. Did a lot of hand-weeding as well as spraying the paths. The second year, it was used for vegetables. I'm not sure that I would do that now but that was how I got that quack grass out, several years ago.

Steve
I like weeds. I get excited when I find one. :weeeOf course that is on a very rare occasion. :(

Leafy greens like lettuce, swiss chard, kale, and cilantro can do well in part shade. Also radishes and asian greens.

Mary