How is this possible?

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Unbelievable. It humbles me, and does my heart good, to see someone using a technique so successful - and so radically different - that it makes my jaw drop. It made me feel for a moment like a 5 year old with my first garden; thank you, @Carol Dee for posting that.

I would question, though, whether weakening the soil at the base of a brick wall might have unintended consequences in the future. Perhaps they already have a solution for that, too. There is so much we could learn from gardeners in Asia, and so little crosses the language barrier. Thankfully, a picture is worth a thousand words in any language.

Last edited:

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gee, I'd like to know more about where this is being done; whether the climate is comparable to mine.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
And that one pepper plant loaded with peppers didn't have a single leaf on it. Here, the sun would have scorched all the peppers.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
And that one pepper plant loaded with peppers didn't have a single leaf on it. Here, the sun would have scorched all the peppers.
The leaves were probably removed for display purposes, I've taken similar photos of some of my pepper plants, to better illustrate the yield.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I watched "Confucius was a Foodie" for the first time, yesterday :). The host was in several countries, including China, of course. She asked food professionals in France, Italy, Greece etc. if they thought that pizza, crepes, baklava etc., could be Chinese. Most of them laughed and said that it wasn't possible. Of course, it was.

She also said something about ketchup having originally been made without tomatoes. What!?? Okay, it it is a sauce that isn't made with tomatoes it cannot be ketchup, catchup, catsup, etc.! It's a sauce but something else and, as an American, I'd want to know more about it before I put it on either my hamburger or frankfurter.

Ethnocentricity ;)

Things that can cross border are seeds @Zeedman , even if recipes and techniques sometimes get hung up. Here is Wikipedia on Capsicum chinense: "Nikolaus Joseph von Jacquin (1727–1817), a Dutch botanist, erroneously named the species in 1776, because he believed they originated in China due to their prevalence in Chinese cuisine after their introduction by European explorers. :).

Wikipedia again, on the Ozette potato: "Based on tribal accounts and historical evidence, the most likely origin of the potato into the Pacific Northwest was via an incursion of Spaniards in the region at the end of the 18th century. In 1792, a Spanish fort was built by Salvador Fidalgo in Nuñez Gaona, now Neah Bay, on the northwest coast of the Strait of Juan de Fuca. A garden was then planted which contained several New World crops including the potato and tomato, brought directly from South America by Spanish ships. It is believed that the Makah traded for or otherwise acquired the crop from the Spanish at this time, prior to the fort's abandonment the following spring."

In the 1860s, a schoolteacher who lived among Makah, James Swan, indicated that the potato was a staple of the tribe's diet alongside fish, seal, and whale oil.

The potato was not grown outside of Makah gardens until the 1980s ..." Ha! Must have confused a lot of people.

I've gotta get back to the table, DW asked me if'n I want rice with the Sunday roast duck breast. Of course, that's a domestic variety of Anas platyrhynchos (Mallard). Hey, those darn birds won't stop for borders!

Steve

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I watched "Confucius was a Foodie" for the first time, yesterday
I'll have to check that one out, it sounds interesting. EDIT: Wow, it's a series??? Now I'm hooked, some episodes look really interesting.
Things that can cross border are seeds @Zeedman , even if recipes and techniques sometimes get hung up.
Agreed. Its easy to lose the stories, culture, and usage - especially when the seeds pass between different cultures. It is a shame that the purpose for which a particular variety was bred often fails to follow the seed, because failure to recognize its virtues can lead to extinction.

It never ceases to amaze me how much some of those traveling vegetables often transformed in their new homes. Beans & tomatoes, originally from the Americas, underwent a substantial transformation during their relatively brief time in Europe & western Asia. The evolution of peppers once they reached Hungary is nothing less than phenomenal.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've gotta get back to the table, DW asked me if'n I want rice with the Sunday roast duck breast. Of course, that's a domestic variety of Anas platyrhynchos (Mallard). Hey, those darn birds won't stop for borders!

i certainly envy them that!

as for ketchup, yes i've known for a long time there were other ketchups other than tomato.

some years ago i discovered chutneys, pickles (indian as in india recipes) and other fun things to do with food.

Latest posts