How is your garden doing so far?

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I took a couple of extra days off this weekend, and my plan is to FINISH with the veggie garden (except for the pumpkins - those go in in June so they're ready around Halloween). I planted peppers and zukes today. I'm going to plant the melons tomorrow. I'll probably seed some more carrots, too. And amazingly, that will do it! DH is taking care of corn this year (he's convinced I've been doing it wrong, so we'll see how he does), and the sprouts are a couple of inches tall right now.

Also, we have some nice, red strawberries! First of the season. I'm always afraid to pick them because I"m never sure if they're 'done.'

Purple Strawberry

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I wish we had a good free resource around her to spruce up the yard. The only one I can think of is weeds. ha ha ha

Curly Kate it sounds like you garden is coming along very nicley. :rainbow-sun

Purple Strawberry

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yep, I checked the weather this morning and rain for the next week. Just like it said for the past 2 weeks. I guess God and Mother Nature is making up for the very bad drought we had last year here in Georgia.

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Purple Strawberry said:
Yep, I checked the weather this morning and rain for the next week. Just like it said for the past 2 weeks. I guess God and Mother Nature is making up for the very bad drought we had last year here in Georgia.
Ohhh man I wish we'd get some rain! We haven't had any real rain in about 2 weeks now and everything is just having such a hard time out there.

gone 2 seed

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
It is finally raining. i have the grandkids here until 10:00 after that I am in the garden rain or no rain.

My garden is doing okay. I need to stake the tomatoes I haven't yet staked. Run trellius (SP) for my beans and plant a some more radish. Is it to late to plant sweet peas and more broccoli? We have been eating onions for a couple weeks, radishes went from dime sized to half dollar sized almost over night. Lettuce is about ready. I need to plant shellie/calico beans at the base of my corn. squash looks good, cucumbers don't so I am replanting those today.

Want to plant more corn but need to till before I can do that so I guess it will be sometime next week. All in all for my first real garden and doing it by myself I think it looks pretty good.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
lupinfarm said:
Ohhh man I wish we'd get some rain! We haven't had any real rain in about 2 weeks now and everything is just having such a hard time out there.
Lupinfarm, I think we've been told your location . . . Ontario, am I at all close?

gone 2 seed said:
. . . Is it to late to plant sweet peas and more broccoli? . . .
We really need location, location, location, I'm thinking. And hey, I'm probably just about the most provincial gardener with more than a couple years experience around!! I've been involved in gardening over about 40 seasons and nearly all of them have been right here within about 40 miles of where my gardens are now. One of my easiest TEG mistakes is assuming that everyone has about the same growing conditions as I do - wrong! Gardening, even more so than politics, is local. But, I tell you every time I post, about where I am . . .

Sweet peas seem to me to be about the most effected pea by hot dry weather. That's the kind we get here beginning in late June or early July. (We are talking about the ornamental peas here, right?) Whether they are fully mature and flowering by then or not - the sweet peas will get toasted quickly. Mildew and aphids will already be weakening them and they will not stand the onslaught.

All peas will have this problem to one extent or another. However, I have learned in the past 2 season that I can plant snow peas during the last week of July (usually the hottest week of the year around here :rolleyes:) and have a little crop of pea pods as we move into the late September frosts.

Broccoli? We are talking about setting out plants now, right? that's another one that can take a beating from the aphids - but they can take the "cure" better than sweet peas. A strong jet of water in the afternoon followed by insecticidal soap along about sundown - you've done what you can for the broccoli and probably "done in" the aphids. Big, sturdy plants, they can do fairly well right into the hot, dry season.

. . . hope that helps.

Steve

gone 2 seed

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I read somewhere that sunflowers will attract aphids and to plant in with your corn and other spot in the garden. Right now I only have them in the corn. Any reason other than height you couldn't have little patches of sunflowers throughout the garden?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We got a little shower this afternoon out of no where. Felt good in 83 degree weather. I was mulching like crazy, and weeding too... so I was exhausted. In fact, I'm still exhausted!!!!

(Ran inside to hide because I was hot, and my the guys were working on the siding but saw a snake... we all ran insid...e until they tell me its dead here I stay!!!! :gig )

Latest posts