How is your garden doing so far?

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My garden is at a standstill because it just keeps on raining. I'm really not going to complain about it because I know in July I'll be looking up, wondering where it all went. But I'd really like to get some more stuff in the ground.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
planted seeds for carrots radishes beets onions peas zucc & summer squashes cucumbers potatoes corn Peas are up as are the radishes squashes and cucumbers...I put everything under floating row covers this time of the year &&& it has been unseasonably hot

beth1966

Leafing Out
Reaction score
agirly4chicks said:
Beth what zone are you in?
We're in zone 7 (northern CA). Our nighttime temps were from 42-48 this past week with daytime temps in the 60's. The week before we had warm days in the high 70's. I got fooled with those warm days and lost all my tender little tomatoes to the nighttime cold. :hit So, started more Roma, Brandywine, Currant, and Beefsteak tomato seeds inside today along with 4 kinds of peppers and a bunch more cilantro. It's raining and cold here today so no outside stuff to be done except collect the eggs. Think I will settle in and get some crocheting done. I won't want to be doing that when it does finally warm up and stay that way!!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Finally some seeds germinating in the open garden - leeetle tiny red bok choy and spinach with it seed leaves looking for all the world like something other than spinach. Altho' the onion sets are yet to show above the soil, the shallots are up, green and growing!

Except for some vacant areas in the shade (and some of that is planted as well) the entire smaller veggie garden has been filled. All of the cutting garden next door has been cultivated but no plants have been set out yet. We may be past the frost but it would be a surprise - certainly haven't made it to warm weather. A high of 63F today was by far, the warmest this week. But, now we slide backwards with rain . . . .

The dahlia roots have all been planted which may have been a mistake. The soil temperature must have been about the same as the temperature in the basement, 52. Some were already growing but dirt isn't quite the same as peat. I just got impatient and had too much time on my hands. Better not have to pay a price other than worry for that, there's about 300 out there in the cold, dark ground.

Last night's dinner was stir-fry with baby bok choy out from under the plastic tunnel. DW asked if it was too tender . . . !? I guess it could have been :p, but I forced myself and ate it :).

Steve

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi there, :frow

I need some help please :bow

Can anyone tell me if Brandywine tomatoes take much longer to germinate than other varieties? This year I have grown 4 or 5 different varieties & all the others germinated very well but not the Brandywine -- so I got another package from another supplier & they, also haven't germinated -- so ANY IDEAS??????? :hu

All of them were put into the same growing medium, given the same heat etc. I am stumped for an answer. Needless to say they were the most expensive tomato seeds I purchased this year. I have wanted to grow them for a long time & this year was the first time I have seen them in UK seed catalogues. :barnie

HAPPY GARDENING THIS WEEKEND. :coolsun

:rose Hattie :rose

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
How much longer are we talking here? What other varieties are you comparing them to?

I find that the heirloom breeds do tend to take a week or two longer than the new hybrids. Looking back on my gardening notes, I only saw a tiny start of a Brandywine after two weeks, and they didn't all really come up nicely for three weeks. But then they grew just fine.

Well, until I was an idiot and put them in a cold frame on a rather warm day. Then they all died of heat. But I'm thinking you won't be quite so stupid. ;)

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi Rosalind,

Maybe I'm just being impatient? It's typical of me! :lol:

I planted them in the first few days of April and my other tomatoes are anything between 1" and 3" tall & there is not even the mearest dot of green to be seen......!!! I won't dump them of course -- maybe I will have a little ferret about in the module & see if anything is happening down there. I'll report back later

Thanks for replying so quickly! :bouquet

Enjoy the weekend!

:rose Hattie :rose

dbjay417

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i harvested my first pumpkin last week, and that plant is growing 5 more now. I have two other plants with one pumpkin each, and the other 4 pumpkin plants are dying miserably. the female flowers dry and fall off before they reach maturity and open.

My cucumbers have died.

my green bells are dying, potatoes are dying, tomatoes are dying.

Acorn and butternut squash are doing well with no signs of sickness. I put yellow bells and cubanelles in the ground this week.

Squash peppers and cassava are doing remarkably well. the sweet potatoes are growing beautifully.

Take the good with the bad and roll with the punches and all that. I'm grateful for every last inch of growth, every leaf, every flower and every piece of fruit.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My garden look gorgeous. But something is amiss. I have five feet tall corn stalks no ears? My zukes and cukes are blooming beautiful but no fruit. I just don't get it. It makes me think there could be a pollination problem. But then the maters a fruiting and doing great.

This is so confusing cause I can see that only one cuke of the 100's of blosoms is growing. And the only zuke that grew was the one I hand pollinated. I just don't get it.

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Wow, you guys sure have been busy. It is great to see all of your gardens. I definitely have spring fever. I have been going full speed. I harvested my first zucchini's this week and we ate them for diner tonight. what a great thing.

I also have lett, snow peas, carrots, wax and green beans, 6 types of tomatoes, radish, beet, bell peppers, jalapenos, pumpkins, butternut, watermelons and onions. Uhh an artichoke, and a partridge in a pear tree. :lol: Maybe I should say "A chicken in an avocado tree"

I have a potato basket started and still need to plant one more bed. I wish I had built more last fall. I guess that's something to work on for next year.

I think that's it. I planted a Loquat yesterday and my stone fruits are all leafy. I had a neighbor help me prune this year. More like a massacre, the trees needed it though. Next year should be great. I just don't think I will get much fruit this season.

Best of luck to you all and thanks for sharing. g

:thumbsup