How long have you been gardening?

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I was thinking the other day about how long I've been gardening, both veggie and flower. Come to think of it most of my life or at least since I was ten or eleven years old. You'd think since I'm 51 now that I would know a lot about it, but it seems that the older I get the more I realize how much I don't know about much of anything. You'd think since I've been growing stuff for about 40 years I would be an expert but since I've been on this forum I've learned more than a lifetimes worth of experience and learn something new every time I log onto this forum. Thanks to everyone who shares their little bit of knowledge on here, it helps us all and makes for very interesting reading. Happy gardening everyone. :D

KozyOrchard

Sprout
Reaction score
I have been gardening since I was very young. My grandmother taught me most of my beginning gardening information and since then I have learned a lot on my own. I have found that I have learned much more from others about things that I never dreamed of than I have learned on my own.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've been gardening for about 2 years. But for me the basics are pretty straight forward. It's the crazy weather changes that throw me for a loop! Foggy summers sure make it hard to keep powdery mildew off zuchini!

Mary

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since I was 4 or 5. My Mother gave me all of her plants that were not doing well. She told me, "Look how they only grow for you." 55 years ago. What a gift.

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ah, about 60 years! As a small child I was taken to the garden to work with my parents and my grandmother. Of course, playing in the dirt was the first lesson I learned and then other things followed. I now want to eat healthier so grow my own food and hopefully preserve some of it this year. I have never done much preservation.

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I gardened as a kid with my grandpa and as a teenager with my uncle, but really only for 11 years. If we had room to grow anything I used it. Even in a small condo in San Diego I managed to grow herbs and a yellow pear tomato that refused to die. Now that we have our "dream property" we finally have the space to go big.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We may be discouraging the kids, Trunkman ;).

I think that it was in 2007 that I counted back, including the family garden when I was a kid, and came up with 40 seasons of gardening. Neither of my parents put much time into their garden. Dad worked off the farm and had livestock to care for when he got home. Mom didn't want to pay too much attention to the garden. I can remember one year when it was only melons that we planted :p. My brother and I were expected to tend the garden as a part of our chores.

When we moved off the farm, I had a garden. But, some of the seasons didn't happen because I was involved in other things. That included working on farms - which isn't quite gardening. For about 35 years, as my own "homesite" became more stable and as I was giving up the occupation of farm equipment operator - I have always had a garden :).

Steve

r4eboxer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I've been gardening since I can remember my first memories. I do remember having to weed the corn. I remember having to go with my brother to the cow pasture and pick up cow patties for fertilizer. Dad would mix it with water and scoop it out and pour it over the plants. I must have been 4 yrs old at that time. Me, my older sister and my younger sister also had to run a road side stand and sell our extra veggies. I just remember selling 13 ears of corn for a dollar, but nothing else. Maybe corn is all the extra we had. tehe.
I've done all sorts of garden projects over the years, I thank God he has brought me to my current home. 26 Acres of fertile land to till and cultivate.

42 yrs later I'm so glad my parents gave me this gift!

gardentoad

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I never paid much attention being a teen in the 60's , I had a lot of other things on my mind.. Then the army came along and after that life happened. Driving truck over the road for 30 plus years doesn't give much space for a garden. I do remember my father trying to get
Me to do this or that in the garden, it seems now that he could grow anything cause all he ever did was farm work.
About 15 years ago we kind of settled down and we stared working a garden when we could...now we just container garden in half drums
Like this
8205_garden_pots.jpg

We have 40 right now and add more each month until we will have over 100

Don

Latest posts