How long have you been gardening?

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well I was in the greenhouse at 4 months old and I'v been working in the greenhouse and the garden ever since I could walk.
41 years later and I'm still playing in the dirt.

Chris

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
My Grandparents had a small garden, mostly tomaotes when I was a teen. My great Aunt ALWAYS had a few vetables and a TON of rhubarb. (Acres of strawberries before they moved to town, I do remember going there to pick when I was small.) But I do not remember every getting involved. Dad starting gardening after his retirememnt about 22 years ago. DH and I started our 1st small garden behind the garage when we moved here the year #1 son was born. 31 years ago! Since then we have purchased 2 acres of land and garden about 1/4 to 1/2 acre! Lots of fruit trees and bushes, too. It has a life of its own. LOL. I will be doing a LOT more preserving this year as I finally bought a canner, :)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
trunkman, that's kinda ME, too. I've really gotten hooked on gardening in the last few years. My shrewish mother didn't want me to enjoy it for years, so I didn't think I knew much about gardening for a LONG time. HER father learned to garden by neccesity in the 1930's bc they wanted to eat. By the time that I was small and through my teenage years I would look at his manicured 1/4 acre lawn and manicured vegetable garden, when we'd visit. Who can compete with THAT?!?
By the time I became really interested he had passed on.
Thank goodness for all the avid gardeners who want to help other avid gardeners!!!!!
Many folks think we might be in for another great depression where we, like him, just want to eat. THIS motivates me in 2012. If it doesn't happen, the studying and outside work will STILL be worth it.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My parents move here when I was 5 and they put in a garden every year, when I was 7 or 8 my parents order a packet of seeds label "kids garden" (or something like that) which was a mix of seeds for me and my brother. We are both crazy gardener to this day. I am 43 and he is 42.

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
retiredwith4acres said:
Ah, about 60 years! As a small child I was taken to the garden to work with my parents and my grandmother. Of course, playing in the dirt was the first lesson I learned and then other things followed. I now want to eat healthier so grow my own food and hopefully preserve some of it this year. I have never done much preservation.
There's nothing better than have your own canned veggies from the garden in the off season, so much more flavor than the canned tasteless stuff you buy at the local grocery store!! :)

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Like everyone on here who gardens it seems we all have a little bit in common, some for memories, like me, some for great tasting veggies I canned from the harvest to have in the winter, some because of the economy because it's cheaper and because we don't know if some kind of economic collapse is coming, or just the excitement and intrigue of watching something go from seed to something that produces food and think, wow I did that. There's just so many reasons and I hope the younger generation takes as much of a liking to it as we do, I guess it's our job to make the same memories for them as we got from those that inspired us... :)

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I do want to point out one more thing. My name is Teresa, which actually means "The Harvester" so I was in fact born to garden. :lol:

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
HunkieDorie23 said:
I do want to point out one more thing. My name is Teresa, which actually means "The Harvester" so I was in fact born to garden. :lol:
You were born to harvest!! :)

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hey you are right. Why am I doing all this work when I should be just going over to all your gardens and just havesting those. Make sure you guys do a good job weeding, I always hate that job. LOL

swampducks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Since Aerosmith was a new band?

I don't want to think about it. Have you SEEN what Steve Tyler looks like lately? :th