how many strawberries...

LovinLife

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
silkiechicken said:
I knew someone with a pyramid once... let's just say that the top two tiers of three dried out every day in under a day in the damp PNW and the only strawberries came from ground level. They just put in the regular dirt from the ground, tiers probably need garden soil/potting mix that retains water better .

I put plants about 12 inches apart from each other in all directions to make a patch of strawberry field. They usually send 3-4 runners out each, so they multiply fast.
Oh man, I just got a strawberry pyramid. Haven't put it up yet so I will use something on the top two tiers to retain water.

LovinLife

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
lorihadams said:
do I plant in a 4x4 raised bed? I went nutso and bought 50 :hide
:lol: I've got 100 bare root strawberry plants I need to plant ASAP!

lorihadams

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I think I'm gonna go get two 2x8x10s and make another big bed for them. I have to construct some potato cages too....geesh. We have a dumptruck load of topsoil/compost mix being delivered Tuesday and then I'll get everything in the ground.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If it helps, I planted 1 strawberry plant every 8 inches. I think 12" was over doing it. They had runners long before each plant themself took over that much space. :rolleyes:

lorihadams

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks....so I could probably squeeze all 50 in a 4x8 or 4x10 bed...that is what I'll probably do.

Latest posts