How Often Do You Rearrange Your Furniture ?

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
In this old house everything has only 1 place where it fits so it never changes.

Now my daughter, the stylist, moves stuff weekly. She also paints yearly. I've been trying to get my husband to paint the front rooms but he said it just got done. Not really, it was about 4 years ago. They are gray and now I want them white. :rolleyes:

Mary
I WISH it had been only 4 years. Everything was freshly painted after house fire 10 years ago! DH (who painted for a living does not want to do it.) I won't do it right :( So it may be another 10. :somad And everything needs it. Scratches, chips, faded etc.... It isn't like I am changing for change sake and will likely stay with same or near same color. :idunnoLooks like a job for the top of his Honey Do list when he retire Oct. 2018 ;)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh Carol, it sounds like you really need to paint! Our ceilings are so high that it's quite a chore to paint. I'm trying to convince my husband to hire someone. I'd like to have the rooms back to order in 2 days instead of living with a mess for a while. ;)

Mary

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
We are now living in the third house that we purchased ,then I demolish and / or build walls, lighting, plumbing and anything else that is needed to make living in the house much more convenient and safer. When we purchased our glass and steel huge dining room table, I moved the wall between our kitchen and dining room 3 feet ( stollen from a very wide open hallway ) and added 2 1/2feet to that wall leangth to accomodate the table and also made room for 4 more kitchen storage cabinets as well as increased the floor space between the kitchen island and newly moved wall. I had to replace our back yard fence, so I took some of those boards that were in good condition and beautifully weathered in a grey patena , I nailed them onto the newly moved dining room wall. Since my wife wanted a commercial size gas range, I moved the wall between the kitchen and laundry room ( that I remodeled ) that took out one cabinet in the laundry room, but allowed for adding 4 cabinets in the kitchen. I then installed 5 1 foot wide wire shelves, floor to ceiling, which doubled storage space that was lost there. I also completely change the existing mostly lawns and replace with a functional pleasant to the eyes landscape. Before this home, I also drew blueprints for and built 4 homes myself for us that satisfied my wife and my needs and desires. All this due to job relocations.

Last edited:

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is no cheaper way to change a room then a can of paint. I love that fresh clean feeling of new coat of paint. How do you know furniture is in prefect spot if you never tried it else where?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I WISH it had been only 4 years. Everything was freshly painted after house fire 10 years ago! DH (who painted for a living does not want to do it.) I won't do it right :( So it may be another 10. :somad And everything needs it. Scratches, chips, faded etc.... It isn't like I am changing for change sake and will likely stay with same or near same color. :idunnoLooks like a job for the top of his Honey Do list when he retire Oct. 2018 ;)

I would just start painting. He'll either learn to like the way I do it, or take over. I get tired of waiting, but I do it well. These days I'm more likely to just say to heck with it, I'll get it done one way or the other. ;)

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
what about buying paint and supplies and leaving them out. What never made sense to me my grandmother was a artist ,yet every room her whole life was white never any color.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was going to ask about that one? Or do I want to know?

Well....a few years back we were finalizing my parent's burial plans and, at the time, Mom was choosing a regular burial at the small, local cemetery. She and Dad had always wanted a simple pine box burial, but her chosen mortuary didn't carry such a thing.

So...I went online, found a great bargain on pine coffins being built from reclaimed Lodge Pole pines in CO that had been killed by some beetle infestation out there. $600 + $200 in s/h...MUCH cheaper than any coffin we could purchase locally.

When it arrived it had been slightly damaged in transit, so they refunded our $200 in s/h to us. FedEx guy could see the box through the packaging when we carried it up to the front porch, but didn't want to ask...but I could tell he was curious, so I opened it up then and there, told him the story. Said that was his first ever coffin delivery.

Now, you wouldn't believe how many folks are creeped out by such a thing in your house, though it looks like a very pretty blanket chest(incidentally, that's what it's currently being used for). They even sell these with shelf inserts so you can use them as a book shelf until you need it for its intended purpose.

Anyhoo, since then she's decided to be cremated instead and I was advertising it for sale, but not many takers on buying a coffin...who knew? She decided to keep it as a conversation piece, extra seating and blanket storage, which it serves well for both. We've reinforced the top with the packing material(same wood as used in the coffin)so it can hold more weight and applied hinges.

Pic from Nature's Casket....

Casket.jpg

Latest posts