How Often Do You Rearrange Your Furniture ?

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Beekissed My father built his and Mom's caskets and stored them in their basement. The workmanship was beautiful. Both solid oak. Mom did a cross stitch for the inside lid of hers with flowers and the words of her favorite hymn. Inside Dad's was an intarsia of a heron amid cattails. Stunning. It was a part of their pre-planning. Needless to say they had a lot of fun with that. ;) Plenty of visitors got a sneak preview. I wish I had taken a photo of the work while they where in storage.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Daniel Boone had a nice cherrywood coffin made before he died and kept it in his house where he could show it to visitors. Occasionally he'd climb in to see if he still fit.

Mama has done that and I took pics but can't seem to find them! She's got a great attitude about death, so doesn't find it a bit weird to climb into her coffin for a pic.

I found her a little RIP headstone at Good Will to go along with her coffin...it has a bat on it with eyes that light up and a scream emits whenever someone walks by. We call her the Ol' Bat, so the bat headstone seemed a fitting addition to her coffin. :D

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Beekissed My father built his and Mom's caskets and stored them in their basement. The workmanship was beautiful. Both solid oak. Mom did a cross stitch for the inside lid of hers with flowers and the words of her favorite hymn. Inside Dad's was an intarsia of a heron amid cattails. Stunning. It was a part of their pre-planning. Needless to say they had a lot of fun with that. ;) Plenty of visitors got a sneak preview. I wish I had taken a photo of the work while they where in storage.

That sounds lovely!!! I wish more people felt that way about their dying...very matter of fact and preparing for it like you would any other big day in your life.

I have cut a piece of memory foam for the top of the coffin and covered it with a quilt, but the foam also fits neatly into the coffin itself for a final rest that's comfy, not that anyone using it for that would ever know. ;)

Carol, did your parents finally use those beautiful caskets? What a wonderful thing if they did....hand crafted by your Dad and adorned by your Mother. That's love and the way a person should leave this world, encased with evidence of their love.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ridge, I think I remember you posting some pics of your DW's work years ago. I am intrigued by the idea of weaving, but apparently I am too uninspired to do anything about it.

I took these today. I'm not going to try to find the old photos. With the flash these came out lighter than they really are but maybe you can get an idea of what they look like. Weaving takes a lot of time and you have to be meticulous, lots of detail work. There are a lot of different techniques and even different types of looms to master.

DSCF4375.JPG
DSCF4376.JPG
DSCF4377.JPG
DSCF4378.JPG
DSCF4379.JPG
DSCF4380.JPG

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those are lovely!!!! I have a hand loomed rug I bought at a artisan's fair in VA that I've had for about 8 yrs now and it's still as lovely as the day I bought it. It gets used daily as the rug in my bathroom and washed often, so I'm mightily impressed at the craftsmanship and artistry that goes into the weaving of these rugs.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
That sounds lovely!!! I wish more people felt that way about their dying...very matter of fact and preparing for it like you would any other big day in your life.

I have cut a piece of memory foam for the top of the coffin and covered it with a quilt, but the foam also fits neatly into the coffin itself for a final rest that's comfy, not that anyone using it for that would ever know. ;)

Carol, did your parents finally use those beautiful caskets? What a wonderful thing if they did....hand crafted by your Dad and adorned by your Mother. That's love and the way a person should leave this world, encased with evidence of their love.

Yes they have, Mom in March 2011 and Dad in November 2014 .. I love your words. :love I am pretty sure my folks, Dad especially would have LOVED your Mom, he was quite the funny guy. The tombstone would have cracked him up. Give your Momma A big Hug from me :hugs

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I took these today. I'm not going to try to find the old photos. With the flash these came out lighter than they really are but maybe you can get an idea of what they look like. Weaving takes a lot of time and you have to be meticulous, lots of detail work. There are a lot of different techniques and even different types of looms to master.

View attachment 21905 View attachment 21906 View attachment 21907 View attachment 21908 View attachment 21909 View attachment 21910
:loveStunning work and a lot of work. So beautiful.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Amazing love the last one bet it took along time with that fine pattern. Does she sell them at craft fairs ? Or is it something done for her own pleasure ? Beautiful

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Own pleasure. She's woven baby blankets , towels, and such as gifts but doesn't sell anything. She has taught a class at the weaving guild.

That last one was woven on what people often think of as loom with the shuttlecock going back and forth. The actual weaving goes fairly fast once it's set up. But the set-up can take 90% or more of the time. All the others were done with a "tapestry" technique. Set-up isn't too bad but the actual weaving is very slow and tedious.

Latest posts