How Secure Are Your Tools ?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
lately I have been looking at security at home. Between meth and heroin addicts tools are at a risk of being stolen. I have a lot of money invested in my garden tools. Gas powered tools can really be expensive to replace. Most of my garden tools are in my shed which came with a lock on handles. I never bothered to lock shed, felt it was a pain when I would run to shed, only to find out it was locked, did not have key. I had a solar motion light put up for me, it stopped working and I never had it fixed. Now I am going to have better lock put on also planing on battery powered alarm put on door. Shame this is what its come too.
DSCF0870.JPG

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's a shame but it happens. My son's outbuilding was broken into a few months ago...thankfully his tools weren't out there yet but they were definitely looking for anything portable to steal. He needs motion sensor lights out back and also needs to put big locking gates into his back yard...that would cut down on the ease of access.

Our security system looks something like this....

81P5gy75v3L._SL1500_.jpg

100_4747.jpg

100_4748.jpg

They look like dogs running loose, which are more intimidating than dogs tied or in a kennel, so it works for now. Anyone throwing them a piece of food, or petting them or even talking to them in a sweety voice could get past this security system, though, so it's not a sure thing....just foolproof. :D

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Nyboy we have beware of dog signs posted... property is fully fenced
but no issues around here for now thankfully

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
We do have a padlock on the large shed at lot. It house the riding mower, gas trimmer, and tons of JUNK! Yes it is a pain to go there and realize you left the key at home. :( But since it is out in the county with no house it could be easy target. At home things are in garage, which 1/2 the time DH forgets to close up for the night. So far no thefts.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Beekissed Dogs barking of any decent size most can be a large help in deterring idiots

That's the thing...these dogs give a brief bark when folks they don't know pull up in the drive, then nothing. They just stand there silently and stare...I think it's a little unnerving for folks. They always ask if the dogs bite and the utility guys won't believe me when I say they won't nor can they reach the meter area...they still read the meter from a distance, never getting out of their truck.

I don't blame them...I'm always more intimidated by the silent dogs too. They are the ones to watch.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
My kids are all two states away. I have a basic set of tools just outside the door in the garage for my wife to use. When I find one laying around I replace it but if one goes missing very long I'll get a cheap replacement. If you want good tools, put them back.

I've got a couple of big burly rough country guys for neighbors that have been known to stop people they don't know on our private road and ask, quite politely of course, can I help you find what you are looking for. One's retired but coming and going all the time, usually driving farm equipment. I may have stopped a couple of strangers a time or two myself. One of the dogs stays outside in the electric underground fence. She loves to bark at all times for nothing at all. My wife also taught her to smile, grin and show her teeth. Such a cute toothy smile. The only threat from her is that she might lick someone to death, she just can't control her licker.

My detached workshop where the good tools are is never locked. I just don't see a big need.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have almost zero security on my garage - a door lock. But, the (garden) tools to jimmy the door sit right beside it, in the carport. I bet I could have that door open in under a minute ...

Steve
⬆ On @majorcatfish 's garden thread. I should have said "' with no key' I could have that door open in under a minute ..."

My daughter's new bicycle when she was in the 3rd grade was taken. I'd left the door unlocked. That's it for thefts, except that 8 pack of Gatorade. DD's nearly 30.

There really isn't much of value in there. Everything is olde. The $200 lawnmower is about 4 yrs and newest. Rogue the Rototiller was several hundred more expensive but about 3 years older. Electric tools and small tiller are older yet. I worry a little about someone stealing out of the 2 freezers but it's mostly veggies ... and if those were taken? I'd feel more pity than resentment.

I could talk about security for the home but I think I'd need a new house!

Steve

Latest posts