How to Eat a Melon

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
... in the garden when all you have is your pocket knife.

This is a small melon so one-half can be prepped at once. If you are inexperienced, use 1 slice at a time.
IMG_20150820_073447521_zps3191267_edit_1440603214778_zpssaaayp9s.jpg

• Cut the melon open and remove seeds, as best you can. Spitting seeds is perfectly acceptable.
  • Slice the melon from the blossom end and only as wide as you are comfortable cramming in your mouth. There may be no need to slice all the way thru the stem end.
  • Peel the skin carefully. Do not remove the skin from the stem end. You can have as many slices attached as your digitS are comfortable with.
  • Hold by the stem end with your grubby digitS'. Enjoy.

You will likely get your chin against the skin as you eat the slice. But, you will have melon juice on your chin no matter how you eat it.

Steve :D

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Or just drop the melon on the ground, pick up the now split melon and tear it apart then devour the contents but spit out any seeds that you encounter. Same results of consumeing the mellon, juice running down your chin and onto your shirt but without the possibility of cutting your finger with a pocket knife. :drool

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
ok y'all get your nose right up to your screen do you smell that deep rich cantaloupe aroma from our charentais melon.. oh baby oh baby just a couple days away from picking, no rain in the forecast so it's on me if they split.
DSC_0147.JPG

we might have a labor day weekend watermelon as well....
DSC_0149.JPG

@ninnymary pack your bags and come out for a weekend, we can sit right there in the garden and eat vine ripened melons to our content..

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I will agree that cold is the second best way to eat a melon. Sure better than outta the soopermarker bin. Number 1 is warmed by sun and up to the highest standards.

You know how gardeners are ... exacting in their standards. Choices, choices ... Compost, maybe not worth the risk, needs another 18 hours ... With melons, the nose knows. Ah, here it is --- in Major's garden!!

Mary, maybe this mother earth news article will help: A Guide to Early Melon Varieties - Organic Gardening

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Major, as I started reading your post about that melon, I wanted to stick my tongue out at you. :tongue But then I saw your invite so all is forgiven. I eat cantaloupe, honeydew, and watermelon every day but it's not the same since it's store bought. :( I even tried some Diplmat Galia melon seeds that Steve sent me and nada. Woe is me.....:(

Mary

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, those varieties are short season. My problem is not the length of the season but the fact that our summers are only 67°.

Mary

Latest posts