How to Eat a Melon

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh sure, go ahead and giggle, you're the fool that has me crawling around worried my melons are gonna blow up. :lol:
dont blame if you get an melon krakatoa , in your photo you have roughly a week. keep a eye out for when the skin below the netting starts turning yellow at that point you have a couple days to harvesting sweet golden home grown vine ripened melon....
but i am sure you already new that....:caf

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
dont blame if you get an melon krakatoa , in your photo you have roughly a week. keep a eye out for when the skin below the netting starts turning yellow at that point you have a couple days to harvesting sweet golden home grown vine ripened melon....
but i am sure you already new that....:caf

I am seriously not a melon grower. I have grown them twice, the deer loved the vines, the second time they enjoyed the melons. :somad I had some extra room in the garden this year and have gotten better at fooling the deer so I gave it another shot.

I figured if they could explode on a pro, I just might be doomed. Checking them every day, watching for yellow, nose is ready... I may just post a photo every day or so. :D There are 10 out there, the pressure's on. Thanks for the help!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was covering the peppers and tomatoes with frost cloth yesterday evening
when I spotted a melon on a vine that I had my hand on ready to pull out. I started them late, put them out even later and didn't expect them to do anything but I was driven by guilt. So of course I just stuffed them in the pepper bed! There are several but I know that there's no real hope in getting one to ripen. But, maybe?

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
since the cantaloupes are almost done, 5 left out there. now focusing on these beauties...
DSC_0002.JPG

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
DW tricked herself into buying a yellow watermelon in 2013.

She likes watermelon but is adamant that they should be red. I could see the perplexed look on her face as she sampled that yellow melon. How could it taste good if it's yellow?

I have encouraged her to buy another. Either global warming has to become entrenched or we need to find out how yellow watermelons do in the garden. Some have real early days to maturity. Reds seem to be a bridge too far.

Steve

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
will do the yellows over again next year as well crimson sweet with a possibility of an orange seedless from johnny's.....just need to remember to to plant them throughout the season so we do not have melons coming on all at once.....

Latest posts