How To Say Anything To a Southerner

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
She may have been telling the truth, mostly. That is, she probably knew bits and pieces of English, but back then, Italian families tended to live in Italian communities where speaking English was not necessary.
I imagine, just like our Amish-understand/speak what they want. Otherwise Amish German/Dutch

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, there are STILL a few restos in Chinatown where you have to be able to speak and read Chinese to be able to order. Actually I take that back, a lot of people who DO speak Chinese can't either, since they speak the wrong kind (the lingua franca of Chinatown is still mostly Cantonese, but a lot of those places are run by, for, and require a fluency in Fuzhonese.) Though they can presumably read and point.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are correct. You have to leave home -- or have visitors around -- before you can be said to have an accent.

It becomes an "If a tree falls in the forest" type of thing. . . I imagine a tree in Missouri falling with the sound of "Tim-m-m-ber-r-r-r, ya'll!"

Actually, around here, it would be "Tim-berr-r-r-r Youns!"
20 miles south, it would be "Ya'll" and 100 miles north it would possibly be "Youse Guys"

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The ones that get me are "warshing", wrastling, ain't got none, and tooken. (had to type those all 2 times b/c of spell check changing them)

I do say you'all when speaking to a group b/c while I know I am speaking to the whole group, there is no easier way to convey that to the whole group, and make clear I am not singling out one "you".

Latest posts