How well does companion planting work in terms of space?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks Gone 2 Seed for the companion planting site... I've been reading a lot that has helped me make my decisions on what to plant where, but now I need to know... what is reasonable space to do this?

I've got my raised bed for corn 3'x5', and I see my cukes would do great with them. So How much spare room do I need for the cukes. I many stalks of corn do I need to cut back on. Assuming cukes need 5' of space does that mean I'm going from 15-20 stalks of corn to like 8 to make this mix work?

What about my root veggies... can I let them closer and cut down on space for some of the companion plants they recommend?

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
In general, if you take the usual space between your primary crop (say corn) and divide it in half, then take the usual spacing for your companion crop (say squash or cucumber) and divide that in half, add the two (corn/2 + squash/2) and that gives you the best spacing. I find that in raised beds you can get away with closer spacing and sometimes closer spacing helps reduces weed problems. Just make sure you keep your soil fertile (add lots of organic matter). Remember that with corn you want to have a good block (4' x 4' at the very least, if I remember correctly). Shaking the corn when it is in tassel helps with pollination, if you are going with a minimalist corn planting. Good luck! :)

SewingDiva

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
In general, if you take the usual space between your primary crop (say corn) and divide it in half, then take the usual spacing for your companion crop (say squash or cucumber) and divide that in half, add the two (corn/2 + squash/2) and that gives you the best spacing. I find that in raised beds you can get away with closer spacing and sometimes closer spacing helps reduces weed problems. Just make sure you keep your soil fertile (add lots of organic matter).
I cpmpletely agree with DraekMaiden, this is exactlty what we do as well. Anonther big benefit we noticed with companion planting is that it atracts a ton of benfical insects, and I think this is simply because the garden is more diverse. Last year I had no problem with tomato hornworms; the ones I found got fed to the chickens (they fight over them) or they were killed by parasitic wasps attracted by the companion planting.

We also mix annual flowers in with veggies because I love the look of potager style gardeing.

Phyllis

Latest posts