How Would You Freeze Soup?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
One of the ladies at my Tai Chi class brought a big box of green tomatoes about a month ago. I just used the last one I took in a salad a couple days ago, after it ripened on my counter. There is still a yellow Kellogg's Breakfast sitting there, but most of them didn't ripen to be tasty, from green-picked. (I had been taking loads of Marconi peppers, so the sharing idea is catching)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I'm enjoying a slice of carrot cake with my 4hr coffee.

There are storage veggies and there are storage veggies. I wouldn't have thought Kellogg's Breakfast tomatoes would keep well ..!

Of course, I only grew that wonderful tomato through 2 seasons in the garden. The Dagma's Perfection which had more seasons had the early ripening qualities needed. Actually, I thought it was all in the "ripening" stage. I mean, Perfection came right up to maturity, then ripened overnight!

It is absolutely NOT a keeping veggie. Now, I know that all yellow tomatoes are not alike. Earl of Edgecombe yellow was in surprising contrast to Perfection. It's one solid yellow! I wouldn't be surprised if it had good keeping qualities. In fact, I think that was the only way I was able to enjoy Earl of Edgecombe, ripening it on the kitchen counter.

Now, I see in my new Fedco catalog (!!!) that they have a new yellow cherry. The caption is something like, "who says yellow cherries are never good?!" Or, something like that ...

Obviously, they aren't willing to cross the fans of the "golden" cherries like Sungold. However, I was very happy with Yellow Jelly Bean last season. I mean, I was mighty suspicious of that one because Red Jelly Bean didn't amount to much in my garden ... However, the YJB was a strong plant and had tasty fruit!

NyBoy :D, have I hijacked this thread far enough to notify Nifty and have the whole thing shot down??!

Steve :hide

Last edited:

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well look at you!! Soup twice in a row!!! Good Job. :thumbsup

Do you like veggie soup? Are you willing to be a little adventurous?
For the next few weeks take any leftover veggies, gravy, little bits of meat, even mashed potatoes if it's not too much and put them all into a single container in the freezer. Just dump them in adding the new stuff on top of the frozen lump.
Then, when the container is full, take it out, dump the giant ice cube in the crockpot, set on low and go to work. Stop on the way home for some good, crusty bread.
I've done this for YEARS and it's never turned out bad. It's also never been the same twice. ;)

Mrs. Thankful

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Congrats on the soup! It's such a great feeling to make something tasty and wholesome and then to have it waiting in the freezer for a hurried day!

Looks like you have great answers for saving. I wanted to add that besides the batch, what I like to do is save some in an ice cube tray (then set in plastic bag so they won't get that fridge smell/taste). I use my chicken soup cubes as good stock for simple dishes. For example, years ago we used Knorr side dishes. It's like rice or noodles and powered flavor.

Now I save these soup cubes and will boil with rice or egg noodles and maybe add some veggie scraps and some powdered seasonings and boom done - great side dish - or add more meat and veggies to make it a casserole.

Happy birthday early!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well look at you!! Soup twice in a row!!! Good Job. :thumbsup

Do you like veggie soup? Are you willing to be a little adventurous?
For the next few weeks take any leftover veggies, gravy, little bits of meat, even mashed potatoes if it's not too much and put them all into a single container in the freezer. Just dump them in adding the new stuff on top of the frozen lump.
Then, when the container is full, take it out, dump the giant ice cube in the crockpot, set on low and go to work. Stop on the way home for some good, crusty bread.
I've done this for YEARS and it's never turned out bad. It's also never been the same twice. ;)
Cane that is exactly what my MIL does. Never wasting a little of this or a little of that.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last night I made a big stock pot of chicken soup. This time I even used uncook chicken. My timing is not the best, Tomorrow is my Birthday, and I have dinner plans for the next 4 nights. When some thing sits in fridge after a few days, I get paranoid about food poison and throw it out. I would like to freeze soup, but pot is to big to fit in freezer.
SO HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Latest posts