How you keeping yourself busy?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Moved some more of the eggplant into 4-packs. They take a long time to grow and I have a few of the 4 or 5 varieties already in 4- packs. It won't be too long for those to go in 4" pots.

The last of the tomatoes are taking a long time to grow - barely have their seed leaves stretched out!

I realized that they are in the shallowest container and that I could get another 1/2" of soil mix around the tiny things and get them in the basin for a good drink of water. Hope that does it. A lack of sunlight the last few days hasn't helped but that should be changing. You know, a few cloudy days in a row is a long time in a seedling's life.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
no hummingbirds here yet, they usually show up when we start having more trees flowering. the next few weeks i expect to start seeing them.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday I planted 4 each of soybean and corn in plexiglass boxes with different seed treatments to see how it affects root development.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been dragging my feet getting things set out. Good thing, we had a frost yesterday! So I got to kick it into high gear and get things done before the scorching heat hits. Too cold, too hot, why can't I have a normal spring?

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Its been raining for days here, which is unusual but much needed....just wish it had stayed away for a few more days so I could finish that last piece of path.

Cos I cant do anything, I have taken to carrying my camera around and taking pics of the different types of mushrooms that pop up. I found an NZ site that ID's things, so I have been posting them there.
So far none of the mushrooms I found are edible or native types, but I did get an probable ID on a bug that is a rare native....only trouble was that it was dead and the chances of finding a live one is pretty slim.

I learned that my beautiful little lizards are not the native one but an Australian import, which was really disappointing.

The big orangey ladybird was ID's as the Harlequin Ladybird and not damaging to my plants cos it eats aphids and the like.....but like Praying Mantises, also eats other beneficial insects...so a mixed blessing there too.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
What is normal?

After 2 snows, hi 20 degree my little garden peas are probably dead as are the cabbage plants.

What? No pix of Zealand?

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ah, it looks like I deleted the one of my baby lizard.
This is the maybe Peripatus. The thing with the round looking head with stumpy legs right in the middle.

Peripatus.jpg

The Harlequin Ladybird

P1000261.JPG

These are Rollrims, pity they arent edible because they grow quite big.
P1000266.JPG

P1000265.JPG

Attachments

• P1000261.JPG
    P1000261.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 133

Latest posts