How's your Hash Browns ```

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Mine are good ~ but ~ they could be better ~ here's how ``` I put butter in the pan ~ heat and add the shredded potatoes ~ pour water through them ~ turn and do the same ~ couple times ```

How's your way work ~ do you boil the potatoes ~ a bit first ~ how'd your momma make em ``

Don't know where that shadow came from they'r not that dark ~ but ```
IMG_0742.JPG
IMG_0743.JPG

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I use potatoes that I bake ahead and refrigerate.

I preheat my cast iron skillet, add some oil (EVOO, or avocado) grate a cold potato, and dump into the pan, spread the potatoes out into an even layer and lightly tap down with a flipper. Flip when the bottom side is brown, scootch them over, add a square of butter and cook two eggs over easy.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ha! Just finished my "cottage fries." We are gonna lose some potatoes in storage. This is about as late as I have ever had those earlies, all harvested about the 1st of August. The Purple Vikings are going but the Red LaSoda are holding up. Too many! An unexpected, good harvest.

These cottage fries were boiled whole, then peeled. Sliced, DW likes coconut oil in the skillet. She does a fairly good job with hashbrowns using grated raw potatoes ... after I taught her the one trick that I knew for them. The grated potatoes go in a colander to be rinsed before frying. That way, I avoid turning them into glue!

You are putting them in the pan with oil and then adding water to the pan, Valley'. Did I understand that right??

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks thistlebloom ```

No Digits ~ You heard 1/2 right ~ put butter in the pan ~ put in the grated ~ then pour a bit of water through them ~ the liquid only last a short time ~ but cooks the tater ~ bringing up heat from the pan ```

so, kinda like steaming in place, the oil is usually the heat transfer helper...

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a bunch of dehydrated potato gratings. I thought I'd use them for hash browns, but they are not great, even after rehydrating over night.

maybe in a beef stew or something where you'd not notice them being odd? or just ground up into flour via the mixer/food processor and added to pancakes or breads?

Latest posts