"How's Your Melons Doin'?"

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
DH brought this home tonight, he has no idea what he planted. He said it was a packet from Menards for Cantaloupe. What are they? :hu They look and smell like one inside. He said it tasted a bit bland, but sweeter than normal cantaloupe. I do not eat melon so I am no judge.
001.JPG
002.JPG

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Carol Dee Oddly enough apart from the skin color everything is spot on for a Crenshaw type cantaloupe.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm with Hal. Crenshaw was my first thought, although my first thought wasn't enough for me to offer the suggestion. I don't know what else was growing around "mother" last year to give it the green color. However, Rare Seeds shows a ripe green crenshaw and calls the fruit greenish yellow.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Smart Red and @Hal The flesh looks very much like a cantaloupe. Has flavor almost a cross between honeydew and cantaloupe. They where planted between some cucumber and zucchini. Any chance of an odd cross pollination?

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Only if the cross could have happened to last year's seed. What ever you planted is what grew. There are no crosses the year of planting, only to the seed for next year.
Ah-ha now I know something new. THANKS

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
However, Carol Dee, there are some who claim sweeter peppers planted in close proximity to hotter peppers can take on some of the heat of hotter ones. I have no evidence or experience with any such occurrence, just that it's something I've heard. In any case, it should have nothing to do with the seed varieties that were planted.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hmmm....I had sweets and hots growing cheek by jowl all mixed up in the pepper bed this year, and I haven't noticed any heat in the sweet peppers.