HR 193 proposal to congress

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I had a hard time registering but I finally got it done. The scoreboard showed 100% against and 0% for the bill. How much $$ do you think Monsanto is slipping under the table to our fine upstanding legislators to pass this bill?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well you see by them even registering they have to pay the agricultural department as well as the right to grow the patented seed!

I am just against anything to do with patenting a seed. I can not fathom a patent on life! You start small, and they'll use the right to patent seed to start patenting other things... like people's sperm!! :rolleyes:

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
vfem said:
Well you see by them even registering they have to pay the agricultural department as well as the right to grow the patented seed!

I am just against anything to do with patenting a seed. I can not fathom a patent on life! You start small, and they'll use the right to patent seed to start patenting other things... like people's sperm!! :rolleyes:
It's already being done. It's very likely that some parts of the DNA in your own body have already been patented by somebody or other. Many medical testing labs have agreements with corporations to send a sample of blood to their labs every time they test someones blood.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
vfem said:

So how does a geneticist protect his work? You can breed your own, just can't use his in your family lines or save seed from his work.

If patents aren't protected, no one will develop anything. It's no different than making a better mouse trap and patenting it.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wellp, when im king of the world, geneticists will not get to protect their work.

All present geneticists will be required to be scoopers at horse stalls, and a new generation of geneticists will be created who have to muck along like the rest of us.

Did I get a patent for the aluminum cap I devised for my power steering unit when the original threads failed? NO!
My fine impromptu repair that has now lasted 3 years has no such protection!

My brother in law in 1974 invented compost makers made from barrels on welded metal stands with wheels so the 55 gallon barrels could be turned. DID HE GET A PATENT??? NO!!!

I crossed Marianna's Peace with Giant Syrian and got F2's that everyone of them was good and only slightly different, a cross that shows that hybridizing does not necessarily mean seed should not be saved from the F1's. In this case, they were all good f2's, f'3's and f4's! DID I GET A PATENT TO PROTECT THAT? NO!!!

AM I MAKING A BIG TOP SECRET ABOUT THE PARENTAGE? NO!!!
Oh, first select your mp for healthiest plant for a few years, and select your gs for biggest tomato for a few years. Use the mp as the female parent.

Geneticists have most definitely proven that they can NOT be trusted with patents!!! Sorry geneticists, but ya blew it.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
Wellp, when im king of the world, geneticists will not get to protect their work.

All present geneticists will be required to be scoopers at horse stalls, and a new generation of geneticists will be created who have to muck along like the rest of us.

Did I get a patent for the aluminum cap I devised for my power steering unit when the original threads failed? NO!
My fine impromptu repair that has now lasted 3 years has no such protection!

My brother in law in 1974 invented compost makers made from barrels on welded metal stands with wheels so the 55 gallon barrels could be turned. DID HE GET A PATENT??? NO!!!

I crossed Marianna's Peace with Giant Syrian and got F2's that everyone of them was good and only slightly different, a cross that shows that hybridizing does not necessarily mean seed should not be saved from the F1's. In this case, they were all good f2's, f'3's and f4's! DID I GET A PATENT TO PROTECT THAT? NO!!!

AM I MAKING A BIG TOP SECRET ABOUT THE PARENTAGE? NO!!!
Oh, first select your mp for healthiest plant for a few years, and select your gs for biggest tomato for a few years. Use the mp as the female parent.

Geneticists have most definitely proven that they can NOT be trusted with patents!!! Sorry geneticists, but ya blew it.
Totally agree!!!

LIFE is a series of mutations, whether discovered or created... they will CHANGE again. You can not patent those living things, the changes they will eventually do, or the mutation that occurs. Its nature whether you help it along or not. We're a mutation of a series of life changes, as are plants and animals... and even ROCK! So genetics is not the creation of a new idea that will never change from the grid.

There are plenty of created products out there that have been denied patenting for less.

I don't give a damn that someone isn't going to profit over some cross plant they tested and found a wonderful offspring... don't care! Life is a gift, not a widget!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Big talk.......and if someone stole your life's work, you'd all be screaming and begging for sympathy.

Don't like what the breeders did, fine. DO NOT USE IT AT ALL. Don't buy it, don't try to breed for it. Meanwhile those of us that support plant breeding will enjoy the benefits of their hard work by supporting them. No problem issue solved............

Come on to my place or try to steal my stuff, I'LL have you thrown in jail.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
SeedCorn:
"Big talk.......and if someone stole your life's work, you'd all be screaming and begging for sympathy."

This is not so. I indeed have had my life's work stolen, several times in my life. You just happened to say that to someone who this has happened to.

I was working at Winston Rod. I came up with the way to make the cork grips even softer, smoother, and better. The founder of the company totally loved my cork grips. Shortly after, he sold much of his share because his ms was worsening. The fool who was manager of the section I was in became a most jealous man, and made my work miserable, so I began working late at night when he was not around. He then made copies of my grips and replaced mine with his copies, and they were not any good. The sizes were off. Then, he began claiming mine were his, and his were mine! Oh crap, getting called in to the office, I tried to show my work was not able to be imitated, but no, they believed the manager fool. I had planned on that being my life work, but it became too miserable. I quit there. Turned out a few months later, the founder showed them how I was doing it, and now they are made the way I devised...the back paper side of the 1200 grit after it was warmed at 80 rpm's on the lathe. Don't even touch the front edge or it changes the fit as it shrinks. See? My life work, stolen.

I was in a jazz band, and a new sax player came and joined. She played slightly out of tune. I could not tune myself to her, ouch, painful pitches. She had the beauty and the charisma, and I just gave that up. Quietly. So, that band no longer had me arranging tunes. But, have you ever heard the jazz band version of "Chains"? Didn't think so. That was my early dream in life. Stolen. Hear me screaming? Nope.

See, I seriously enjoy where the ebbs and the flows of life have taken me. There was another caretaker at the lake here, a seasonal one. He kind of wanted my job, sure seemed like it. He wanted to steal this new life's work. Nope. This time I simply outlasted. I have a talent almost nobody has, that makes taking my job almost impossible: I can live absolutely alone, for months at a time, and ABSOLUTELY ENJOY IT! That guy wanted to change policies to suit his naive desires. No, it is not good policy to let folks feed Bears, and no, it is not good policy to protect deadly human fed Bears from the official bear trapping man by lying about where the bear was spotted. That guy is no longer a caretaker at the lake needless to say, though it took almost a year too long for the higher ups to realize his mistakes and to transfer him to some desert in Nevada.

There have been other things more minor in my life like that SeedCorn. Seems that a lot of folks decide, if Marshall can do it, so can I, and I can take his job. I'm not screaming about it. But I felt you needed to know. Kinda invalidates your first statement that I quoted above.

I actually do not buy what Monsanto the evil WHO KNOWS WHO THE OWNERS ARE company, and I always urge my friends not to. One recently did. They play on weakness. Spray roundup to kill weeds rather than getting rid of them the right way. Make corn produce its own poisons and be immune to roundup and fiddle around with the economy so human weaknesses, including overpopulating, can all be done.

It's a neverending issue.

SeedCorn, I reviewed everything carefully. Who Said Anything About Going To Your Place To Steal Your Stuff?

Even though we disagree, I'd help you throw anybody into jail who tried to steal from your place!

They patent genes SeedCorn! GENES!
They promise they won't sue if the genes get mixed in someone's crop? And then they sue anyway?

Doesn't that have the ring of wrong to you?

It's a bazillionaire company, much more cutthroat and insidious than even you know. You think they care about you at all? Me, even though we disagree, I defend your right to disagree. Do you see Monsanto defending any of my rights? If so, who among them? Ya see, the owners are not known. They are too busy doing who knows what kind of cruises on their private cruise ships...living the lifestyle that you would not even be allowed to so much as observe.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
Big talk.......and if someone stole your life's work, you'd all be screaming and begging for sympathy.

Don't like what the breeders did, fine. DO NOT USE IT AT ALL. Don't buy it, don't try to breed for it. Meanwhile those of us that support plant breeding will enjoy the benefits of their hard work by supporting them. No problem issue solved............

Come on to my place or try to steal my stuff, I'LL have you thrown in jail.
If they couldn't patent it to begin with... would they have wasted their time, or would they have done it for the good of humanity. People do that you know... do things to better the world not expecting a return for their work.

And I don't want your stuff thank you very much!

Latest posts