HR 193 proposal to congress

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sometimes I'm a little slow.

When u work for someone else, your ideas are stolen. Happens to everyone almost. Won't bore u with my details.

A misconception, what is patented in breeding is how u got there. If u start from scratch (can't use their final product in your breeding scheme) u are good. They use marker genes to identify people who do.

In terms of GMO's, only one person can use it but there are many that will do the same thing. Reason people steal it is because its so expensive to do, testing, permits, etc that they want you to do it and then use it for whatever they want to give you. In case of bin run--0.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
OldGuy43 said:
I have a great new idea for those of you with children. You should patent your "process" for how you got there. :lol:
Actually we do, it's called marriage. Guarantee I catch anyone trying to use the same process that I did for my children, there will lawyer involved--divorce lawyer. Now if my wife caught me trying to duplicate that method, then a divorce attorney would be the least of my worries......... :lol:

Good analogy OldGuy.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You say if you don't like patented genetics don't use them but how do I avoid using them when the wind blows their pollen in to contaminate my corn crop and then I get sued for "using" the patented genetics?

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not only contaminated plants from blown in pollen, but every time you have a beverage with any kind of corn syrup you're probably getting it without knowing if you are or not. MONSANTO VIGOROUSLY TALKED FOLKS INTO THINKING THAT NOT LABELLING GMO PRODUCTS IS A GOOD THING. Thoroughly brainwashed the masses in california.

One does not know if any product with anything soybean is gmo or not. one does not know if the sugar used in that muffin was made from gmo sugar beets or not.

So, how can I not use gmo products unless i divorce myself from civilisation's food products entirely? So far, at least coffee and chocolate are safe, 2 goodies i can't grow...yet! I'd love to have an acre of coffee! :caf

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
hoodat said:
You say if you don't like patented genetics don't use them but how do I avoid using them when the wind blows their pollen in to contaminate my corn crop and then I get sued for "using" the patented genetics?
Since you are not selling RR seed, you are good. If you are selling your seed as pure, you need to take same safe guards that breeder companies do. You plant a refuge around outside, cull any ears that have off type kernels, you are good. In spite of what people not in the know understand, corn pollen doesn't travel that far. To get mass cross pollination, you have to hand pollinate or interplant with GMO.

I understand the frustration of not being able to label GMO vs. non-GMO. Unfortunately GMO is so much cheaper to produce, most products are made with it. There is a market for conventional corn but most of it goes to Japan--they pay over $2/bushel premium to farmer. Not sure what handlers get. Same with conventional soybeans.

The larger problem is not labeling as much as it is, the marketers can't sell it for enough to justify the expense. Most of what you read is smoke screens for "not enough margins".

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Interesting quote that admits people DON'T want to buy GMO if they can help it. Seems to also be an admission that even the companies that produce it aren't sure about its' safety.
At the very least, he is saying,"If people won't willingly buy our food they must be forced or tricked into doing it."

"If you put a label on genetically engineered food you might as well put a skull and crossbones on it." -- Norman Braksick, president of Asgrow Seed Co., a subsidiary of Monsanto, quoted in the Kansas City Star, March 7, 1994

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have to confess I did not read the original article, based on replies it seems the article was about patenting certain genes that genetisists have combined to make a bigger, better, badder plant. As I understand a patent that simply means if you do not hold the patent you cannot make a profit from someone else's intellectual, creative, engineering ect.... work. So if you do not plant the patented gmo seed then you don't have to worry about it, and if you are a backyard gardener are you making money selling seed??? if you aren't selling seed then the patent on the seed is no problem for you???? If someone patents "widget xyz" and files the patent I can look that patent up and if I really want "widget xyz" I can either buy it from the maker or I can make my own "widget xyz" for my own use, just cannot then make and sell "widget xyz" to anyone else.

As far as gmo itself, this country does not ban the use and sale of these foods like other countries do. The consumer has the power to change that w/ their "checkbook" if they can afford it. Other countries that have those bans in place also pay much more money for thier food an option I do not have. If I had a choice would I chose not to eat gmo food, of course I would, however if my choice is to eat gmo food I can afford or no food, well then I would choose to eat. My solution is to grow what I can as much as I can in as chemical free fashion as I am capable of having to live in a world who's air, water, and soil are full of pollutants and chemicals, and to choose to purchase as least prepaired foods as I can

Just b/c one person chooses not to protect their ideas w/ a patent does not mean that everyone has to give up those rights.

Just my 2cents.

I did go back and read the article.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Kassaundra said:
I have to confess I did not read the original article, based on replies it seems the article was about patenting certain genes that genetisists have combined to make a bigger, better, badder plant. As I understand a patent that simply means if you do not hold the patent you cannot make a profit from someone else's intellectual, creative, engineering ect.... work. So if you do not plant the patented gmo seed then you don't have to worry about it, and if you are a backyard gardener are you making money selling seed??? if you aren't selling seed then the patent on the seed is no problem for you???? If someone patents "widget xyz" and files the patent I can look that patent up and if I really want "widget xyz" I can either buy it from the maker or I can make my own "widget xyz" for my own use, just cannot then make and sell "widget xyz" to anyone else.

As far as gmo itself, this country does not ban the use and sale of these foods like other countries do. The consumer has the power to change that w/ their "checkbook" if they can afford it. Other countries that have those bans in place also pay much more money for thier food an option I do not have. If I had a choice would I chose not to eat gmo food, of course I would, however if my choice is to eat gmo food I can afford or no food, well then I would choose to eat. My solution is to grow what I can as much as I can in as chemical free fashion as I am capable of having to live in a world who's air, water, and soil are full of pollutants and chemicals, and to choose to purchase as least prepaired foods as I can

Just b/c one person chooses not to protect their ideas w/ a patent does not mean that everyone has to give up those rights.

Just my 2cents.

Well said Kassaundra.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Kassaundra said:

Just my 2cents.

Great points... but if you read the info, this isn't about patenting the plant, its about making you register with the government to PLANT a patented seed you bought and paying a fee for the right to with the government. So you pay for the patented plant, then you pay again to be on a list of approved people who can plant the plant. Its a tracking program that charges you to be tracked. Which concerns me because a lot of the language from the bill is missing. So does this mean they can come on your property whenever the want and test your plants to see if you growing the seed on a year you didn't notify them and pay the fee?! How much is the fee!?

My problem, is now the extension of invasion has gone from not only patenting the genes of a seed of a plant... all the way to charging you for tracking you and your property because you bought and plan on planting such patented seed. This is to make sure that they track who bought and plan on planting them.

Its another way to fee farmers... and they are tracking this seed closer then they track the guns they give Mexican cartels!!!!

Latest posts