Hugelculture Bed

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, that second picture? It appears from here in south-est, central-est Wisconsin that there is a nude leg sticking out from the pile. I would never say anything to anyone, being as you are a good friend, but I would suggest you move the dirt to better cover the leg. Just saying, girlfriend.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, that second picture? It appears from here in south-est, central-est Wisconsin that there is a nude leg sticking out from the pile. I would never say anything to anyone, being as you are a good friend, but I would suggest you move the dirt to better cover the leg. Just saying, girlfriend.

Baymule goes out in dark with flashlight to throw more dirt on the body......
SSSHHHH..............

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Smart Red this picture is for you. Does it pass inspection? The bed (and the leg) are all covered up now. Took two dump trailer loads!

Hugel covered.jpg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Time to update this thread. I planted red and green cabbage plants, kale and broccoli. Rabbits ate the cabbage plants. The kale grew ok and we have added it to stir fry and soups. The broccoli also did ok and we have enjoyed fresh broccoli.

The mound is sporting a green cap of tender grass and clover. So I let the sheep out. I scattered rye and oats in the fall and there is some nice grazing in the yard area. The sheep quickly discovered the hugel culture mound and proceeded to give it a hair cut. They did not eat the kale or broccoli, but tore into the grass and clover like they were starving.

Trying to upload a picture and nothing is cooperating. Maybe later.