Hummers are Here!!

luvsdirt

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We just saw the first hummingbird of the season Saturday morning! The feeders were already out - so excited! It's so difficult to tell if our hummers are ruby throats or black chinned....have never been able to quite discern the difference. :tools

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't have much trouble knowing one from the other -- as long as I'm willing to take someone's word for it :). I turn to Cornell's bird guide (black-chinned) andCornell's bird guide (ruby-throated).

Then I accept the fact that I can't see something the size of my thumb, hovering for 2 seconds then darting away at break-neck speed, well enuf to count its chin--whiskers! So, I live west of the Rocky Mountains and their maps on those pages tell me that what I just saw in my flower garden would be a Black-chinned hummer ;)! Over the last 3 years on their interactive map of observations - there is simply no question. Click on "eBird sitings" at the bottom of the maps.

Now, in east Texas where their ranges overlap, I am sure that I wouldn't have any idea which is which. And, I would just have to accept the fact that they are both there for charm value!

Steve :cool:

AmyRey

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My mama's hummingbirds - surprisingly - have been back for weeks now. Every flower in her flowerbeds this year is red - for them. She's a hummingbird nut. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
AmyRey said:
. . . Every flower in her flowerbeds this year is red - for them. . .
Is that what it takes, Amy?

I have wondered why the hummers like my big red zinnias so much! As best as I can see, they never get any nectar out of them. They look and then, zzziiiiipppp! Over the fence they go!

. . . or, they sit quietly on a power line and look, and look :cool:.

Steve

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh hooray! I'm running off to clean the feeders then and start filling them. I'm so excited! :)

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I noticed one in the garden a couple weeks ago so I set out feeders that day.

I just cleaned them up again today and set out fresh juice after I noticed one of the little hummers resting on the wire trellis I have around the herb garden. How cute! :)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
My 4-yr-old keeps saying she saw a hummer, but I don't believe her! Her grandma got her a feeder recently. I think she's just really eager to use it. :D

Northernrose

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
The hummers are really swarming my feeders now that the manzanita is done blooming. I have tons of Anna's and for the first time here a Rufous, now those are bossy little guys. I'm going through about 2 cups of nectar every day. :ep

luvsdirt

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Yes, it really doesn't make a lot of difference which ones they are....I agree that both kinds are here for total charm value! Wow! Sounds like the hummers are really getting started this spring! One thing I haven't been able to find - ever - is a hummer nest. Maybe this year....:tools

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
luvsdirt said:
Yes, it really doesn't make a lot of difference which ones they are....I agree that both kinds are here for total charm value! Wow! Sounds like the hummers are really getting started this spring! One thing I haven't been able to find - ever - is a hummer nest. Maybe this year....:tools
where are you located in the US?

Latest posts