Hummers are Here!!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Glad they are starting their journey, I will probably not see them for another month- but I will be ready, just in case. I was watching a PBS show about Cuba the other night- and they showed the most amazing hummingbird I had ever seen. It is called a bee hummingbird and weighs the same as a penny! It buzzes around just like a bee, but it is a teeny tiny, hummingbird!! Very neat!

Featherbaby

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I plant Pentas every year and they love them! What plants have you all found that particularly appeals to them?

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've taken photos of some of the hummers that are visiting the feeders in my garden. Here are a couple shots ...

More photos here on the blog:
http://sweetmissdaisy.typepad.com/sassy_sweet_notes/2011/04/more-hummers.html

and here on the blog:
http://sweetmissdaisy.typepad.com/sassy_sweet_notes/2011/04/visiting-hummingbirds.html

6a00d8341c2d2753ef014e881dbbd5970d-800wi

6a00d8341c2d2753ef014e881251a6970d-800wi

adoptedbyachicken

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We saw one female on the 25th and none since. :(

Normally they are here by now, and we most often have droves of them at first. We can have so many we can't count them at the 2 feeders, but in a still shot guessed at 33 once. When the wildflowers come out the numbers here at the feeders fall off.

Crazy wet and cold spring, we are still getting frosts so I'm guessing they stayed south for a bit longer.

Northernrose

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
adoptedbyachicken said:
We saw one female on the 25th and none since. :(

Normally they are here by now, and we most often have droves of them at first. We can have so many we can't count them at the 2 feeders, but in a still shot guessed at 33 once. When the wildflowers come out the numbers here at the feeders fall off.

Crazy wet and cold spring, we are still getting frosts so I'm guessing they stayed south for a bit longer.
I think they are late migrating this year. I have dozens and dozens of them here in N. California. I've seen nearly a dozen Rufous and last year I didn't have any visit. The Rufous migrate all the way to Canada, but the Anna's are here all year.

I have so many hummers swarming my two feeders that I think I need to buy third one. Every evening there must be 30-40 trying to feed all at once. I did have a shocker though this spring..... I've never ever seen a oriole around here. But, I saw one trying to steal some nectar from the humming bird feeders. What a beautiful bird :love

Trisha

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, the hummers have made their way back to upstate NY!! I saw a male about a week ago and the female this morning! I was so happy to see one of each. I never saw a female last year... Hoping the sun comes out one of these days- the poor things must be water logged!

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ours showed up on the 9th, hanging around the porch post where I usually hang the feeder - so I hung one out! I'm well trained ;)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our first one showed up around the 9th also. It was Rufous male as usual. Now a few female rufous have come and I saw a Calliope male yesterday. I was beginning to worry about them, they're over a week late.

Latest posts