Hummingbird Facts - Stuff That I Didn't Know UPDATED

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
I only rarely see Hummingbirds at my part of the lake but a mile south there are about a dozen Ruby Throateds. They don't come to the denser part of the forest much, but they seem to love the more open mainly Oak parts.

Does anyone notice some kinds of "bee" trying to take over their hummingbird feeders?
A few years ago I had to remove a hummingbird feeder by my back door, the bees discovered it and were able to get the nectar. They were keeping the Hummingbirds away from it. I made the bees mad by spraying them with water so I could remove the feeder, I should have just waited until after dark to remove it! But for WEEKS the bees would still come to that spot by the back door to look for the feeder. And if I was outside they would appear to come after me!!

I now have a bee proof feeder and I have it on a low branch of a tree some distance from the house. Not as easy to watch the Hummers, but much safer since we have Africanized Bees here and they are not the most friendly of creatures if they get upset.

bee_1_zps3132959e.gif

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a long lonely trip that would be.Sounds like a good blues song..."I've got the lowdown lonely migratin' hummingbird blues."......:D

Latest posts