Hummingbird!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Birds are almost an impossibility for me to photograph.

Years ago, I bought a 35mm with telephoto lenses. My birdwatching was gonna move to new heights! Wow, was I disappointed in my performance. New heights of respect for professional photographers who could snap those pictures! I just couldn't seem to devote the time and energy into it.

Now! I read that my Peterson guide is becoming obsolete because of genetic testing of the many species! The cameras have moved on to digital ... I still take some photos with every silly device at hand. Still as in something that stays still ...

digitS'

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i still liked it and how you caught those wings as you did. :) sometimes pictures turn out no matter how we try to mess them up.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Birds are almost an impossibility for me to photograph.

Years ago, I bought a 35mm with telephoto lenses. My birdwatching was gonna move to new heights! Wow, was I disappointed in my performance. New heights of respect for professional photographers who could snap those pictures! I just couldn't seem to devote the time and energy into it.

Now! I read that my Peterson guide is becoming obsolete because of genetic testing of the many species! The cameras have moved on to digital ... I still take some photos with every silly device at hand. Still as in something that stays still ...

digitS'

at least in the age of modern digital cameras you can take a lot of pictures trying to get a good one and not be worried about having to develop the film to find out...

one time years ago when we were out walking in the nearby woodland park there were some really great ice formations where the freeze/thaw allowed icicles to form, it looked exactly like an ice-skeleton hand reaching out from between two large sheets of ice. i walked back to the house and got the camera and loaded the film and then i went back and took a bunch of pictures and didn't notice the film was not advancing. so took in to develop and none of the pictures came out. :( just have to remember the images and hope they stay in the noodscape.

i shake a lot more now so will need a tripod for pictures if i need to try to get something close up or decent. when i get funds set aside for new camera that will be on the list too. in a few years by the looks of things now.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I give up, just when a half dozen or so were swarming the feeder my camera went to sleep:barnie.

This is the best I could do...
DSCN7206.JPG

Not great, glare from window doesn't show the color of this Rufus very well.
DSCN7208.JPG
More of our resident Anna's

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those Rufous are sure cute, aren't they? I wish we had something in addition to the ruby throated, but they are pretty neat, too.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Rufous are so beautiful, I love when they show up. When the sun lights up that orange they are magnificent!
I think my favorites are the little Calliope though.

HomesteaderWife

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@so lucky - I was in our outbuilding with the door open working Monday or so when a Ruby-Throat flew into the building, got directly in my face and hovered, then left. My Grandmother used to always tell me "The hummingbirds will come get you when they want food" and he sure did. So I filled up the feeders yesterday morning, and they've been coming around ever since- about three now. What kind do you have visiting your feeder? Good job on providing a drink for them- the fast little things sure do need it!

@aftermidnight - ^ ^ ^ Like I said, they'll come get you when the feeder is empty or to let you know they're in town, haha! It's so sweet that they come to your window!

I should share some video of them.... :p If you all like hummingbirds, I'll have to dig up the pictures from when I was a kid and my Grandmother's hummers would let me take photos standing right by the feeder.

Edit: Here are some old photos from 2009 at her farmhouse feeders
DSCF7906.JPG DSCF7916.JPG

Last edited: