Hummingbirds

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We saw her yesterday morning, tanking up as usual. We didn't see her yesterday evening or this morning. Maybe she got rested and fed enough to continue on her way.

We will continue to keep the feeder out for awhile. Butterflies seem to appreciate it too.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
That little bird will remember you, always.

Or will at least remember the buffet you provided forever.

We are pretty sure she showed up yesterday. A female showed up, she perches on the hook that the feeder hangs from-none of the others do this-and she takes long deep drinks. She was back at it this morning. This female is exhibiting much the same behavior as the one last year. The bonus for her is that she got here sooner than last year and doesn't appear to be at death's door.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Same here, we finally took our feeder down the hummers couldn't get near because of the $%^#&% yellow jackets, one sting and they're a goner. Thankfully there's still lots of flowers blooming in the garden. We used to only get the Rufus hummers, they came in March and by September they're gone. The last 10 years the Annas started showing up, they stay all winter, another sign of climate change? They keep us poor buying sugar for them:)

Annette

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yellow Jackets feed their babies meat. They will kill honey bees but I am happy to see them on aphid patrol.

We used to set out little traps when we had in bad yellow jacket years. Start with a small piece of meat, push a nail thru it. Using that, nail an empty soup can to a post. Fill the can with soapy water to within about 1/2" to 1" of the meat.

The bees will fill up on the meat. When they set off to fly back to the babies, they will drop an inch or two upon taking flight. That will drop them into the soapy water.

If one misses the water ... follow him! Spray the nest

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
We didn't have too heavy of a wasp year at our place this year. Maybe it was that June freeze.
I let the hornets and wasps alone that have their nests in the horse shelter and under the eaves of the coop. I figured they were doing some sort of benefit by killing flies. We didn't have many flies either, so I may have been right.

Our hummingbird feeders have not been busy at all and I was sad to think they have all gone south already. But last evening I saw a little female out there working the bee balm, so I refreshed the sugar water in the feeders for stragglers.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our feeders are really busy right now. I have 5 out, and they still manage to fight over them.
I have seen some homemade yellow jacket traps that involved a 2 liter bottle, I think, but I don't remember the way to make them. I bet good old Google would tell us.
I found two wasp nests in the chicken house a few days ago. I would not bother with them, but one is next to the pulley that operates the chicken door (from outside the chicken house and enclosure) and the rope jumped off the pulley yesterday, so I'm going to have to get the wasp spray out so I can fix the pulley.
Or, I can wait....DH is due home later today, and I'm sure he is going to need some Honey-Do chores. (You know; so he'll know I missed him, lol.)