Hurricane Harvey

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
People get nutzo in hurricanes. The shelves in grocery stores are bare, long lines at gas stations, fighting over supplies. Walmart is boarded up. No power, no water, no fast food, even McDonalds is closed. LOL

Afterwards, the grocery stores have to dump all cold foods because they are spoiled. It can take a week or more for them to clean up and open again. After hurricane Ike, the atmosphere in the grocery store was hushed, like a church. People were polite, asking each other how they did in the storm, grateful for what little there was on the shelves.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is the Allen Parkway in Houston. Channel 11 is off the air, they had to be evacuated.

image-jpeg.38046

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
The call has gone out for anybody with a boat to volunteer for search and rescue. Galveston county is asking for anybody with a flat bottom boat to help. The news just showed an air boat bring people to I-45 in Dickinson, unload people and go back for more. I-45 is underwater. Dump trucks and school busses are taking people to higher ground

This is a nursing home in south Houston. They were rescued.

image-jpeg.38061

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Weather Service was sure right about the rain ... so far.

I was thinking that the winds were huge before the storm hit land. Measuring the storm by wind speed doesn't make sense this time. They said it would be the rain and Harvey is now a category 1 hurricane. Flooding. Flooding!

I don't suppose that Arkansas is all that interested in opening its borders to Harvey. I read a day ago that it may just blow back to sea. That might not be too good a scenario. Then, there is a low pressure area off east coast of Florida that is developing as a storm ... where did Sandy come from?

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
My sister in Conroe is taking water in her house. She and her husband are getting upstairs. I hope this is the one "that finally does it." They need to fix it back up and sell it. I've been begging her for a long time. It might be a hard sell after seeing all of Houston looking like a freakin' soup bowl.

People are stranded in their homes. Standing in water. It's dark now and rescue efforts have been suspended until daylight, it is too dangerous in the dark. The governor of Texas urged people to leave days and days ago. The mayor of Houston refused to issue a evacuation order and told everyone to stay home. His excuse was that evacuation would be a nightmare, sending 3 million people out on the roads. He should have to stand up to his armpits in a flooded house all night praying for rescue. What a ba$tard. Yeah, I am angry. Now roads are flooded and people cannot get out. Al the major highways out of Houston are under water. The lucky ones left days ago.

Latest posts