Hurricane Harvey

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
We are on a river, albeit a small one, at 14 feet sea level. We are protected by Buzzard's and, the Mattapoisett Harbor. We are in the 500 year flood plain. FEMA keeps vacillating between us needing flood insurance or not. We were required to get it about 25 years ago at the cost of well under $200 a year. After Katrina our rates keep going up. They are now slightly over $700 a year. My husband wants to drop it because FEMA says we can. It is the best peace of mind money could buy... Thats not the lottery I want to win. I do know that a few towns over FEMA paid to repair the home of someone I know that did not carry flood insurance. Then she was required to pay thousands in Flood insurance after that. She does not make much money so I do not know what the outcome of that situation was.I was glad my acquaintance was taken care of in her time of need. But, I did pay for it when she had never carried flood insurance.I know many were left high and dry from Katrina and Sandy. If you do not get your property repaired within 2 years insurance does not pay. Many Sandy victims lost their homes due to this. I know I pay much more in insurance costs due to Katrina, but the insurance companies, backed by the feds should not be cheating people due to greed. There is no way this new storm will be cleaned up in 2 years. I had around $10,000 in winter storm damage 3 years ago and my regular insurance company low balled me and gave me the run around for a long time. And were quite nasty and lied repeatedly to me. If I had not been able to find a small contractor, who is a neighbor, and a friend I would not have been able to get the work done in time and the low ball money they sent would not have covered the damage. I cannot even imagine what these poor people will go through
in the coming years. Thank God for all the good neighbors saving lives with their boats in Houston.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was told ALL flood insurance is through FEMA and the same price. I pay a little over $300 a year. My does not cover anything but building. I was told if I knew there was a flood coming I should move everything to high ground. I feel it is a total waste of money.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was told ALL flood insurance is through FEMA and the same price. I pay a little over $300 a year. My does not cover anything but building. I was told if I knew there was a flood coming I should move everything to high ground. I feel it is a total waste of money.
Until you need it!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
People in impact zone can spend tens of thousands of dollars a year on flood insurance. Many in my area cannot sell their homes because of that. I don't know who told you that all costs was the same. Definitely the risk is calculated into your payment.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is whole point my house would have to be washed away ONLY building is covered. Insurance covers nothing inside house. Where I live we just dont get flash floods
If you recall a few years ago, people in New Hampshire had their homes washed away in a flash flood. No record ever of this happening before-they had no coverage. My policy changes often. Last year no contents coverage. This year contents are covered. Different companies underwrite it every year for FEMA. I would love to reduce my cost by excluding contents because my risk is low.

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We have no extra coverage but have 0 risk of any type of flood our position would take 3 volcano's going at once
but would all be reduced to ash by the initial blast

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Highest point in Smith County is 671 feet. We are at 600 feet, so I feel there is no risk of flood.

Talked to my daughter today (she and family lives here) and she said how glad she was that we weren't down there in this mess. Even the town we lived in 75 miles north of Houston is flooding. The street we used to live on is not flooded, but so much of the area is. Roads are closed. Stores are closed, schools are closed. Dams in all the southeast area are letting out water, flooding down stream. It is misery for all.

I am so grateful that my sister is safe.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
My friends daughter , SIL and grandson are all safe too. Apparently they live in an area of Houston called the Heights. So they are at a high point and just out of the floods.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have no extra coverage but have 0 risk of any type of flood our position would take 3 volcano's going at once
but would all be reduced to ash by the initial blast
You are talking about flooding similar to what occurred with the eruption of Mount St Helens?

The heat of the eruption melted much of the snow on the mountain. Change in the terrain, tons of falling ash and rocks, and all that sudden snowmelt resulted in Spirit Lake being flushed down the mountain. But, that wasn't all of the flooding. Of course, water is mobile and whatever stream or river where it flowed was carrying the disaster miles away from the mountain.

Yes, I believe most of the early loss of life was from the pyroclastic flow.

The next time that thing blows, I want to be a hemisphere away!

Steve

Latest posts