Hurricane Harvey

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
A friends daughter , son-in-law and grandson live in Houston. Last I heard the water was edging up the driveway and the rain is still coming. I am sure they will be stranded upstairs in their home until it subsides. Scary times.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
"...only about 1 in 5 Texas homeowners has flood protection..." Dallas Morning News

"...coverage offered almost exclusively by the federal government and sold separately from standard homeowner policies..."

"Congress faces a deadline of the end of September to renew the federal flood program, which as a result of devastating storms like Hurricanes Katrina and Sandy is nearly $25 billion in debt..."

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are some TX coastal areas not considered eligible for flood insurance?

"In a snapshot of Texas' high-risk coastal counties, Harris County had the highest number of NFIP policies — 240,350 as of August 2016 — but had about 1.6 million housing units at that time..." From the same news article and worse than the one out of five number.

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
My SIL in Conroe (high and safe) just called to let us know that my sister and her husband had to be rescued from their second story last night by their son and friends in a boat. They and their pets are at their son's home now, exhausted and asleep. Their home and business is under water. Their son and friends got all their equipment and vehicles out yesterday.

Y'all pray for Texas.

If anybody wants to donate to the clean up effort, I would suggest the Texas Baptist Men. They are an excellent organization and do lots of good work. I am not a Baptist, not pushing a religion, but I know this is a very good organization. There is a chapter here in Lindale and we are going to donate to it.

http://www.texasbaptistmen.org/

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
The elderly sitting water is the worst I have ever seen. I remember during Katrina a group of doctor euthanized immovable elderly before leaving the floods. They were tried and not convicted for the terrible decision that poor planning forced them to make.So sorry Bay for your family. Hope they are now safe.

Latest posts