Hurting

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
About a month ago I lost a battle with a large round bale of hay and hurt my leg and back. After a trip to the ER and several follow-up visits to the Dr. in early November we discovered torn ligaments and a tear in my left thigh muscle. Well it has been a month now and it's not getting any better. In fact in some respects its worse now than 4 weeks ago. I have talked to my Dr. several times and surgery may be the next option.

Man! I can't be laid up like this! There's WAY too much work to be done around here. I feel like a sissy hobbling around here doing only light duty work. To kill time and to make use of my "down time" I have practically memorized several owner's manuals and shop manuals for some of the equipment around here. Service and maintenance of equipment is a major part of any farm and I'm hoping that when I get back to a full schedule I'll be ready to tackle many of the items that meed attention.

Friday I operated the skidsteer (Bobcat) to clean manure out of the paddock and barn but only after two hours my leg and back were hurting so bad I had to stop. Some of the pain medication prescriptions make me nauseous (sp?) so I try to stay away from the drugs as much as possible. Hot bath seems to help a lot but I'm too big to fit in the bath tub here. I wish we had a Jacuzzi or hot tub thing-a-ma-jig. We do have a 180 gallon oblong galvanized stock tank and my BIL wants to rig up a platform to build a wood fire under it to let me soak in it. Yeah right! I can just see me out there in the cold climbing into a stock tank. Not a pretty picture - for sure.

OK, I'll quit whining now.

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yikes! Those round bales of hay weigh a ton! Glad you were not hurt any worse. I hope surgery can help you out.
I'm sure it must be frustrating not being able to get anything done, although memorizing all those owner's manuals should come in handy someday.
Wishing you a quick recovery!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Whine. It may help ...

Probably not without "h" in every word but your aversion to drugs is likely a good thing. Still, maybe a glass of wine before bed.

Whine. It may take your mind off pain and boredom. Don't be impatient with yourself. Little words like "im-" have importance ... yeah. Like I'm gonna look out the window for awhile. Like, I'm gonna go for a short walk.

You are the injured patient. "Im-" may mean "loss." Impatient. Don't lose it ... the patience.

Exercise is good. Healing takes time. There is such a thing as re-injury. There is aggravation. Aggravation may have more importance than a bout of pouting ... SMILE !

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
So sorry to hear you are still battling that injury. Sometimes an injury such as yours can alter your life forever. That's just not fair, by anyone's standards.
I don't know if you have access to a health club, but you might check to see if there is one that has a hot tub. Maybe you could get a limited membership, or buy one-day passes. Some hospital-affiliated health clubs may offer what you need.
Good luck, and we hope you do heal soon.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Surgery should be a last option. Make sure you get a second and third opinion. You'd be surprised by what another doctor may tell you. As we get older it takes our bodies months to heal from torn or pulled muscles. As impatient as we are please don't overdo it.

Mary

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
My biggest fear is getting hurt and laid up not able to work. I have a lot of neck and back pain, sitting in my hot tub does help a lot. Like so lucky said a lot of gyms have them. Here Planet Fitness is only $10 a month. Also ask around a friend might have one you can use.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dearest Smiles Jr., If you can't whine here, where can you whine. We are empathetic and understanding. The occasional whine is needed before moving on.

Your BIL's idea isn't all that silly when you consider many a hot tub is placed outside on the deck. My cousin, in Green Bay, WI, -- not a warm winter clime -- has one that is used regularly. My BFF1, up the road, -- also not winter-warm -- has a sauna. I remember the temps being down near -25 (F) and we were laying outside on the benches after a session in the heat. Not as silly as you seem to think.

I am only addressing the workability. I certainly cannot address the visual. "Not a pretty picture" is relative. Do the people who love you want you feeling better or do they want a reason to laugh at you? Your call, but I'd seriously consider the idea. Actually, I'd probably try a session or two in a hot tub (introductory offer at a gym or night at a hotel) before making a much loved spectacle of my personal self, but do it I would if I thought it would make a difference in how I felt.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, you have my sincerest sympathy Smiles. Injuries are the pits and it's tough to give them the time they need to heal.
I agree with Mary about being wary of going the surgery route unless there are no other options for you.

I have lately been taking Solomons Seal as a tea for my knee which I ruined
20 some odd years ago. If you look it up and read about it's benefits you might see something in it for you. It's not a magic bullet, but does have some amazing properties.

I hope you heal completely and sooner than expected. :hugs

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I do have an appointment with a second Dr. on Wednesday. There is a YMCA in Batesville (long drive) but I don't know if they have a day-pass or if they have a hot-tub or sauna. Greensburg is a little closer but I don't know if there is a gym or YMCA there but I would think there is.

Actually the galv. tub idea is not at all strange when you live out here in the boonies. The old tool shed is empty now and a perfect place for a tub. Heck, it may be a big deal and we could charge admission.

Soloman's Seal, hmmmmmm. I'll look into it.

I'll be OK soon. I just have to be patient and learn to sit still. That's very hard for me to do. I have a few more shop manuals to study and then I'll pick up one of the books in my "someday" pile. Michner's The Source has been whispering to me for several months now.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
As hard as it is to sit and look at what is not getting done. Do it. It will wait. Your health is more important. :hugsTake care Friend.

Latest posts