I am inspired and amazed

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
She is an industrious young lady! I wonder what she grew next in that plot? Now that she's got so much prep done, she can feed quite a few people out of that garden.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have this ideal garden in my mind, for my olde age ... right at the foot of my backsteps, all the food that I can eat, 100% of the year :).

In SE Asia, the livestock will live in and near the village. Gardens of some villagers may be distant, over hill and dale.

Manure is burned and the ash is carried, as everything is carried so often, on the back. I guess, it's of good quality. Certainly, it is lighter than manure.

Slash and burn. The entire western part of Europe - slash and burn agriculture.

Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
This doctor was saying he can tell us the exact date when our land became depleted ~ when we stopped cooking and heating with wood and spreading the ashes on the land where we grow our food ```
That, he says , plants need only 3 things to be healthy and beautiful ~ we need close to 100 ~ those are found in wood ash ~ I think he's correct ```

He wrote the book: Dead Doctors don't lie ```

She ~ the girl in this video may be burning it for the purpose of killing the weed seed as well as adding food for the plants ~ but ```

I spread some ash, but never sure if enough or too much.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Be cautious about doing that, GWR.

It was a long time ago ... but on soil similar to what I have now and nearby. I heated partly with wood and read that onions like wood ash. Might be true but it also might be that I raised the pH above what onions like. Half of the onion bed got the ash. That half did noticeably poorer than the other half.

We used to pull a foot or so of cow manure out of the corral every spring. We pulled something down once and piled old boards near the pile. Dad set the boards and the manure on fire. Accidentally! Stink! Stink! Stink!

digitS'

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think manure would be best spread as is. What advantage does burning give it I wonder.

Steve, I have also burned manure accidentally. We had a burn pile where I was also spreading manure in anticipation of building a garden the following year.
The horse manure caught and smoldered forever! Pretty sure the neighbors weren't amused. :oops:

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would never burn manure, but found the article interesting. I think it was China and how they have farmer longer than the United States and their soil was not depleted. I have no idea if that is even true.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thinking that i would add leaf ash to my compost pile, I covered it & lit them off. It wouldn't go out till it had burned the entire thing! That was A LOT of horse & chicken manure up in smoke. SMELLY!!!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would never burn manure, but found the article interesting. I think it was China and how they have farmer longer than the United States and their soil was not depleted. I have no idea if that is even true.

it isn't. China may have farmed a long time but they've obliterated most of their environment to do it and still they had famines about every few years for close to two thousand years up until the past 60 years (with the current populations supported by cheap petrochemicals/fertilizers and electricity from coal).

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
it isn't. China may have farmed a long time but they've obliterated most of their environment to do it and still they had famines about every few years for close to two thousand years up until the past 60 years (with the current populations supported by cheap petrochemicals/fertilizers and electricity from coal).

Also , for generations with all of the farmers relieving themselves out in the fields ... all of the nurtrients are recycled . The city folks had open ditches to carry the waste to streams and rivers and then the fields were irrigated with the river waters. Recycling at it's best. ;)

Latest posts