I am resigning!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I might as well resign myself to having an "iffy" garden from now on. Iffy doesn't dig up or trample down my flowers they will grow.

I started some plants along the west side of the house and what DH didn't hoe out, son stepped on or set wooden braces atop. Those included many gifts from on line gardening friends.

I put some new introductions in back beside the sun room. Showed DH where and what they were -- sort of "this spot is bare because I have new plantings here. This winter, he and son piled wood for the fireplace over that spot. Broke all the branches off the hydrangea and covered the red bleeding heart. The new white bleeding heart was hoed out by DH earlier in the fall. I realize with the snow cover neither could see the plants, but on one asked me about using that spot.

For over 6 years now, I have had a semi-shade bed in the west end of the shade garden. Today I saw son driving the huge farm tractor back and forth over the bed -- plants just starting to show for the spring -- as he carried GEO-disturbed soil off the front lawn to the gully out back.

Of course, my spouse had "no idea there were plants there" and why did I keep sticking things in the ground without telling him? I think I also lost a Christmas rose and a couple of Heuchera this morning. While I drove to a Doctor's appointment an hour away, spouse raked and hoed the weeds -- and everything else -- from around the East side and back of the house. SIGH! Was I not happy to see so much work done? SIGH! Of course I was, but there were other places to clean that didn't have plants or had plants tall enough to be noticed. Sheesh! I think the four varieties of Widow's Tears are gone now as well. There was nothing in their home but neatly hoed and raked soil when I walked out to show my admiration at his fine work. SIGH!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I took all the temporary fencing up in late fall. Guess that's not the best of plans either. Most of the perennials cut down in the prime of life were safely behind landscape material that was to defined a planted area. Since weeds are not concerned with proper growing sites, they took hold during the winter. To an eager, speedy worker, all green growing things now look alike and are all just as apt to be removed. Sigh!

I do so love this guy! I am not complaining (well, maybe a bit) but being resigned to seeing empty spots where favorite plants should be is a little thing compared to having DH outside, working, and feeling good after this long cold winter.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I leave the labels on all trees I buy. My nephew needed money and was doing some yardwork , his girlfriend came over to keep him company.When I came home she very proudly ran up to me showing me a handful of tree labels. She went to every tree and removed labels,she thought she was doing me a favor.Girl never knew how close to death she came that day.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I leave the labels on all trees I buy. My nephew needed money and was doing some yardwork , his girlfriend came over to keep him company.When I came home she very proudly ran up to me showing me a handful of tree labels. She went to every tree and removed labels,she thought she was doing me a favor.Girl never knew how close to death she came that day.
OMG

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can actually tell you the common and Latin name of all my trees. Any labels that might be found here are for visitors only. Of course, I did lose track of my fringe tree (Chionanthus virginicus) for a decade or so.

Your label mishap reminds me of my Father. Dad planted a bed of flowers one summer. The next spring he proudly walked DH and I through his flower bed identifying each plant by common and Latin names. He did it to impress us, of course. I'm the one who usually had to tell Dad what he'd planted.

Nope that year he recalled each and every planting correctly. Same thing happened the following year. Dad didn't forget a single name as we walked through his flower bed. The following year, Dad took us for a tour, expecting to impress us once again, but alas! He had forgotten that my brother painted the house the previous fall. Each and every flower name he had written on the siding had been painted over.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Red, gardening has its challenges and you are handling things well. I am glad your DH felt good enough to go outside, enjoy the day and "help" you in the yard. Why are they always so proud of what they screw up the worst? AND expect us to swoon with admiration?

Latest posts