I Broke Down and Got Chickens Today

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
The other blackish one is out of camera range. They are all acting like secret agents, trying to hide their faces from the camera, lol. The smallest chipmunk one is the bluebell. I think.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
DH decided to try to introduce Penny to the chicks: big mistake. She went nuts trying to get in to the brooder, and after we dragged her out of the basement, she kept trying to go back down there, and was sniffing and whining even at the air vents because now she knows what she is smelling. I put signs on the basement door to remind DH (and me, but mainly him) to keep the door closed at all times. I have a big heavy flat rock on the metal rack that covers the top of the brooder. I don't think she can move it, but I'm not taking a chance on it. Blood thirsty little beast!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I was interested in the Prairie Blue when you told us about them. I don't get the "higher quality eggs than a pure Araucana." What eXACTly does That mean? =/
In 9 years, no matter what the color, the eggs all taste the same. I have heard that duck's eggs are richer, but that's a different bird completely.
Anyway, HAPPY for you!! Report back on the egg color, pls.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was interested in the Prairie Blue when you told us about them. I don't get the "higher quality eggs than a pure Araucana." What eXACTly does That mean? =/
In 9 years, no matter what the color, the eggs all taste the same. I have heard that duck's eggs are richer, but that's a different bird completely.
Anyway, HAPPY for you!! Report back on the egg color, pls.

Don't you wish they'd explain what they mean when they use subjective terms like that. My guess is that the eggs will either be bigger or that they will lay more often. Possibly both.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't you wish they'd explain what they mean when they use subjective terms like that. My guess is that the eggs will either be bigger or that they will lay more often. Possibly both.
It can mean whatever you want as long as your check clears the bank.... my guess is that you are correct. Maybe they have less tendency for bad shells when in production?

Latest posts