i canned my first food - EVER

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Welcome to the world of home canned food. Did you water bath or pressure cook? I usually water bath canned whole tomatos but pressure cook sauces.

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You do realize tomatoes and jam are gateway fruits...soon you will find yourself canning spaghetti sauce, salsas, homemade soups, chicken and beef...there is no cure for this addiction! The only 12 step program is the ones between the stove and the pantry! :gig

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
peteyfoozer said:
You do realize tomatoes and jam are gateway fruits...soon you will find yourself canning spaghetti sauce, salsas, homemade soups, chicken and beef...there is no cure for this addiction! The only 12 step program is the ones between the stove and the pantry! :gig
:yuckyuck Truer words where never spoken.

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
:D :D :D I cant wait to have some fresh canned veggies in my pantry!!!! Nothing tastes better in the middle of winter. Then planning what is going in the garden for the next year!!!! During the winter Monty gets bored, stands at the back door and asks if it's spring time yet. :lol: Counting the days down until he can get out in the barn and play in the potting mix.

You have been bitten by the canning bug..... look out now.

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I had taken the rings off. hubby comes by and wants to know what I've done. he says I must put the rings back on. I assure him the book and friends on the easy garden forum say take the rings off. I come back a little while later & they all have their rings on. :gig I figure if it makes him feel better, i'll leave them on.

my ultimate wish for canning is to can chicken meat and broth. that is definitely on my list

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just make sure it is dry under those rings or they will rust.

Funny you mentioned it. I canned 16 pints of chicken broth Monday and another 18 pints today. Looks like they all sealed. My wife is at a weaving seminar this week so I have the kitchen to myself. That makes a world of difference if I dont have to work around her. Plus I wanted to clear out some room in the freezer to make room for tomatoes. Thats six chicken carcasses out of the freezer.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
bj taylor said:
I had taken the rings off. hubby comes by and wants to know what I've done. he says I must put the rings back on. I assure him the book and friends on the easy garden forum say take the rings off. I come back a little while later & they all have their rings on. :gig I figure if it makes him feel better, i'll leave them on.

my ultimate wish for canning is to can chicken meat and broth. that is definitely on my list
Just make sure to go back and loosen the lids some. People who don't can don't understand that the ring doesn't hold the lid on, vacuum does. If you really want to break him of the habit, leave the rings on a batch or two, then ask him to open them in December :lol:

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I need to do chicken broth as well.

I saw all our chicken bones and parts in gallon bags in the freezer. Then when I get a WHOLE BUNCH I put them in the pressure canner and use it as a pressure cooker. Then I keep in the fridge a day so I can clean the canner, skim the fat and can it all. GREAT STUFF!

Latest posts