i canned my first food - EVER

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
MontyJ said:
Way to go Bj!!! Congrats! Now, make sure you remove the rings from the lids before you put them away.
Why remove lids? Never have

Congrats, did u use water bath method?

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
thanks everyone. it feels like such an accomplishment. my mom canned everything, but I never have before. it's pretty exciting.
I will take that ring off monty. thanks. the book told me to - not sure why.

yes, I used the water bath. I was a little worried my ceramic top stove couldn't get the job done - but no problems at all.
my next big hurdle will be to use my brand new pressure canner that is sitting so pretty on the shelf, full of promise. my mom used to can salmon. my dad was a big salmon fisherman. he would bring home these huge chinook salmon that would lay in the truck of his car. they were so big they would have to curl up both sides to fit. he didn't like to clean them or eat them though. I loved salmon most any way - except I hated it canned. tasted "fishy".
gosh, I sure wish I could get salmon that fresh again. I just can't figure out how to get them from Oregon to Texas.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I remove the rings because: 1: They sometimes get really stuck on there, and 2: I need to use the rings for my next batch. I can always buy lids by themselves, and save a few cents. I do throw the rings out, tho, if they get rusty.
You shouldn't remove the rings before the jars are completely cool, tho, as you could possibly break the seal if it's not real secure(I've read)

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's wonderful!!! Good for you. My very first canning ever was pickles just a couple of weeks back. Isn't it just the best feeling?! "YOU DID THAT! YEAH YOU!"

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have had rings get stuck on so bad the jar has broken getting them off. Also, sometimes when you can a little fluid can be forced out of the jar and get trapped under the ring, causing rust. I probably have several hundred rings. I go through them and toss any that are rusty on the threaded area or under the sealing lip. We untwist metal coat hangers and put our rings on them then twist them back up. Then we can hang them out of the way. I always keep some handy for the jelly jars or pickle jars...things that don't get used all at once.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
As Monty said, that juice can leak out. I let my jars rest overnight on the counter to come to room temperature, then remove the rings. Then I wash the jars that sealed in warm soapy water. That removes the sticky stuff. I dry them and let them set a while to make sure they are really dry before I store them. I store them without the rings.

Ive never had a jar that is sealed lose its lid doing this and Im not extremely gentle. I dont TRY to force the lid off, just wash it normally. Do I really want to keep a jar of something for months or maybe years if the lid is on that delicately?

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'll be canning green beans this week while Monty is out of town. No pressure, just pick a row everyday, snap, wash, and can. Ta-da then he can help me over the weekend with the fresh ones that will be ready :D

No sense in letting them rot on the bush !!!!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's quite addicting and I just can't get enough of the canning myself. I have all the fun new toys so we're getting tomato sauce faster finally! :D

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
CONGRATULATIONS! Its a great feeling when you can take something from seed to table like that especially in the dead of winter. Our food bill has gone down since we've started canning. Not a ton but enough that we've noticed.

Yep its addictive as heck. I wouldn't have it any other way either I love it. Started with us because we had too many tomatoes and green beans. Thought "Oh we'll can a few, maybe make some salsa...."

This is all true so you've been warned

Next thing I know we're picking 50+ quarts of each kind of fruit at the U picks to make "stuff, the garden doubles in size from last year because you ran out of ______ (and now that we're at the new house its going to be even bigger :th ). Food doesn't taste the same anymore from the store, you get frustrated if you have to go get a jar of something because they have boring flavors on the store shelves, you start scheduling things around when your going to can (seriously), you start stock piling jars in the basement for next year since you found a heck of a deal on them, and you end up building wall mounted shelving units just to hold all the food you've saved.

The true point of no return though is when you start getting informed that if your going to attend ______ family function you need to bring a jar of ________ and ______ or don't bother showing up! :gig

Although its a pretty good feeling when told by people you've just met " You should seriously go into business and sell these!!!"

Latest posts