I can't get to it ALL!

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Was it that storm that blew through, Steve? We had a fair amount of wind, AND a fair amount of mostly gentle rain, all night and all day. I cant even believe our lucky weather this year, seems like everyone else is suffering and we're scoring big time! Rain like that in august, unheard of!! My water barrel had just gotten empty, so now it should be full. Grass was just starting to brown. Fabulous timing.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
NwMtGardener said:
Was it that storm that blew through, Steve? We had a fair amount of wind, AND a fair amount of mostly gentle rain, all night and all day. I cant even believe our lucky weather this year, seems like everyone else is suffering and we're scoring big time! Rain like that in august, unheard of!! My water barrel had just gotten empty, so now it should be full. Grass was just starting to brown. Fabulous timing.
Shhhhhhh...........

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank You All for the Welcome Back :)!

The storm was just a bother because I had to be out in it nearly all day - and, nearly all day it was raining. I changed my clothes repeatedly! You know how us dry-side Westerners are - if it is cool, we go for the rain-sopping flannel!!

And, cool it was! Wow! From 10 days of 90+ degrees to 61 for a high! My gardens and yard got a good, thorough watering! Important that the surrounding countryside had all that rain (up over 1" in places).

It should have really helped with those uncontained forest fires! Altho' I don't imagine that it did anything for the future eruptions building in the Cascade Volcanic Arc. Likely just increased the chance of earthquakes . . . (Gotta know how to discourage anything other than nervous tourists coming thru and then skedaddling back to safer locations ;).)

90's by Tuesday!

Steve :cool:

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm here. Still using the gas guzzling generator but I did get 2 good solar panels to help. Soon as I can afford it I'm getting a gas sipping 500 watt generator that sips one quart in the same amount of time this 5,000 watt monster guzzles 5 gallons.

On the plus side, I BOUGHT A 2002 SUBARU OUTBACK!

Once I get the small generator system going then I'll be able to leave power on much longer. Meantime it's a few posts here and there. Right now I'm on the inverter.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
baymule said:
We get them here often enough that I could tell you some stories........... #1 MOST IMPORTANT hurricane supplies are: DOUBLE BATCH OF BROWNIES AND BOX OF CHEAP WINE!!

(I am not much of a drinker.......so after a couple glasses of wine and some brownies, I DON'T CARE that a massive 100 year old oak tree is laying on the house and I DON'T CARE that is raining in the kitchen, dining room and the garage is flooded.) :thumbsup
We get hit almost every year. Around my house the rule is "The moment the power goes out - eat the ice cream!" Even if it comes right back on....:hide
I think the longest our power was out was about a month. And when the power is out, so is the well pump. Here's a tip I discovered. You know those big 5gal delivery water bottles? One of those carefully balanced in the tank of your toliet will provide 3-4 flushes. The top sticks down far enough that it only fills the tank about 6". This was a BIG deal after the first week of no power/no water.

eta: Glad you're still able to make it on now and then Marshall. Congrats on the vehicle!!!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yea for Marshall's new vehicle! "Outback" sounds fitting for you, somehow. Hope it runs forever.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mobile again, Marshall!

Bear maulings, Heather??!! There was also that killer mountain goat :(. Sheesh!

I have an idea what it is like to live completely without electricity having done that for quite some time. What I don't know about is living ~ in a modern home ~ without electricity. Power goes off once in awhile. Years & years ago, there was that ice storm. We were very fortunate that the power came right back on. 100 yards away, they lost one leg, their 220v - I don't know for how long. A mile away, power was off for 3 weeks! It was strange driving thru neighborhoods on completely dark streets, block after block.

We got new equipment last week from the cable company. DD has tried twice to gain teevee connection and failed. She claims that she just needs more time but "more time" seems to be in just getting back over here :rolleyes:. I got "new equipment" from the hearing aid shop, for what that's worth. Maybe I should try that phone call . . . DW and I are better prepared for life without a telephone. She wants the teevee, she can hound DD to make the connection to cable. DW does quite well with text messaging, could post something to DD on Facebook, probably could handle Skype just fine . . .

Steve

Latest posts