I cut down a tree~standing dead~firewood

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
that would be terrible~ wouldn't it~ to drop a tree on your house```

I there are trees that are in a corral that have to be topped and brought down a bit at a time~but wife and girls won't let me climb them~ a couple are close enough to the power lines~ maybe the power company will have them dropped~ they'er smaller~ wouldn't take long```

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had a large tree in front of my house die. I was going to pay a couple hundred to have tree taken down by insured company. I would then deal with removal after tree down. It dawned on me tree was right up against road, took a few calls and emails but town removed and hauled away for free.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had a large tree in front of my house die. I was going to pay a couple hundred to have tree taken down by insured company. I would then deal with removal after tree down. It dawned on me tree was right up against road, took a few calls and emails but town removed and hauled away for free.
The price of tree removal has gone crazy around here. Of course the price might also depend on your neighborhood. A friend of mine had prices of 3-4 thousand dollars to remove a few skinny dead oaks. She lives in a nice area with very large homes. Her septic system is such that they can't get the cherry picker machine in so the trees need to be climbed. They had a 3 month waiting list for a more reasonable company. We just had hurricane force wind over the weekend-power is still out for many people and a few schools still closed. That will make the tree service really pricey with all the trees that are down. We came out pretty fine-just a few little branches need picking up. It kind of surprised us. The mariners knew it was coming but there were no hysterical warnings on the news.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just called the power company~but they don't answer-I'll call back~maybe they'er on lunch```

Years ago I had a Lawn and landscaping business~ I was asked for a bid to take down a great oak tree in a back yard~ I bid $10 or $20 ~ don't remember now~ the guy asked ~ are you sure it took me two days with the help of a neighbor there~ who wanted the wood~I had no idea how to bid then~ never was very good at bidding a job``` I could run a job~but```

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
IMG_0620.JPG
IMG_0621.JPG
IMG_0623.JPG
IMG_0624.JPG

This tree has some drier wood~ smack in the center of the first to pictures~ then with Hoviv at the base to kinda show size~ and one looking up to get an idea of reach```

The last picture is of a standing dead~ with a white stripe~from the top to about 40' from the base where lightning blew the bark off```
Her Majesty might use it for a large sailing vessel```
IMG_0625.JPG
We're about 100' down hill from it in this picture```

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have a big Ponderosa with a lightening zipper down the side. I was home when it got struck, it's about 400' from the house. There was a huge clap of thunder immediately after the lightening flash and I knew something close by got hit.

It's dead now. We're leaving it up for the woodpeckers, as it's not in anythings way, even if it falls.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a few saws~ the little on I'm using on the tree as it gets thinner is 24"~ I have an Old McCulloch with a 3' bar```Cut a vee slot in the final cut side and put a 12 ton bottle Jack in~ started cranking as the cut got deeper~ had a steel plate on top of the jack so the ram didn't sink into the tree instead of lifting``` Couldn't us a rope~ how high could you place the rope or cable without climbing it```

A lumber jack I know says: Most injuries and death of Jacks are from branches flying back at the guy who cut the tree down```
I understand perfectly what you said. :rolleyes::p

Mary