I did it! I grew Garlic!

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
We just picked Italian Purple and Canadian music, both hardneck varieties. Agway sold me California softneck bulbs last fall, but not a single one came up. This was my first year for garlic, but going forward I will only plant hardneck varieties, as they do best in cold climates.
jackb

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Congrats on your success this year @jackb !

That's what I had concluded about hardneck vs softneck also, and then I stumbled upon this -
http://www.wegrowgarlic.com/7422.html

Their website has not been updated in a few years so I don't know if they are still in business, but they claim to grow several softneck varieties in WI.
Check out - Kettle River Giant, New York White, Nootka Rose, Inchelium Red, Simonetti, Italian Late, Silver White.

The local nursery I ordered my bulbs from only carries hardneck varieties. I hope to get to the garlic festival in August, seems we always have something else going on that day. :\

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow! That is some great information and extensive list of garlic, @Lavendar2. Thanks for the site.

Since my garlic came from the grocery store and I usually braid it, I must presume that I'm growing soft necks. I haven't had any problems with them in South-est, central-est Wisconsin. I do have some other garlic (from bulbils) growing. I would need to check up on the variety. They have been growing there for two years. I am planning to harvest them when they brown down, divide, and replant for a larger crop next spring.

Right now there aren't more than garlic 7-10 plants, all with rather small top growth. I expect the bulbs will still be pretty small.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, they are coming on now. Not a bad size for such a tiny plant. Taste like tomato.
That is good to know, as the original seeds from Tomato Grower's Supply are long gone. Those seeds came from my plants, so they are apparently not hybrids.
jackb

Latest posts