I did it! I grew Garlic!

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow! That is some great information and extensive list of garlic, @Lavendar2. Thanks for the site.

Since my garlic came from the grocery store and I usually braid it, I must presume that I'm growing soft necks. I haven't had any problems with them in South-est, central-est Wisconsin. I do have some other garlic (from bulbils) growing. I would need to check up on the variety. They have been growing there for two years. I am planning to harvest them when they brown down, divide, and replant for a larger crop next spring.

Right now there aren't more than garlic 7-10 plants, all with rather small top growth. I expect the bulbs will still be pretty small.
Well, there, it can be done. Wish you knew what kind it was.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not to hijack the post, but on the subject of tomato seeds: I have grown Tropic tomatoes for several years and love them. This year, I have a plant that only produces very large tomatoes. Even my son, who very seldom has anything good to say about anything, remarked that the taste was incredible. So, much as I hate to do it, this tomato will be used for seeds, hoping the genes carry over in the seeds.
jackb

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jackb, can you not take the seeds out and still enjoy the tomato? Granted, I wait longer for the seed tomatoes to ripen (and then some) than I do for tomatoes I intend to eat, but I have done both with a few tomatoes having seeds I really wanted.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jackb, can you not take the seeds out and still enjoy the tomato? Granted, I wait longer for the seed tomatoes to ripen (and then some) than I do for tomatoes I intend to eat, but I have done both with a few tomatoes having seeds I really wanted.
Oh, I absolutely will have a nibble or so from the one being used for seed. :p

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
@jackb don't give up on softnecks growing here in the northeast. i have 3 types i've been growing a couple years now with some luck. i have Susanville, Transylvanian, and Italian Late that do well for me.

Latest posts