I guess I am stuck

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
journey11 said:
That is hilarious! :gig I have done that to my dad once with a dog....

Look at that big 'ol fish belly. Sure looks like he is eating well. :lol: How big do you suppose he might get?
They found one in Lake Meade recently that went three or four pounds. Next stop, Lake Superior, or Loch Ness. I tell my wife not to keep feeding him, but she says: "what else does he have to do?" He no longer swims but waddles around the tank. :/

Jack B

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
That poor starving waif of a fish! ferheavenzsake, feed Redhat more food.

What a beautiful Goldfish! How are Ava's Cantaloupes doing?
We had to start the cantaloupes again and they are just now starting to grow. I had put them in the ground on the 15th, as usually we are past the last frost date by then; but we not only had a frost, but a hard freeze a day later. Even tonight it will be in the 40s. You were right, it will be a real challenge to grow them up here. Still, we are undaunted and chugging along. Time will tell.

Jack B

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jack, I think if your wife stopped feeding Redhat so much, he might start in eating the plants. Looks like a beautiful set-up there. Goldfish are one of the dirtiest fish, since they do eat so much. (Make the tank messy, I mean) but yours looks great.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i have koi and a pond comet in my 55 gallon tank. they'll eventually be moved to a big pond in my yard. but to keep the balance in their tank i feed them every other day and have been doing partial water changes. i use the water in my garden, the peppers love it! :D that is one beautiful Oranda goldfish!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jack, I think you are doing very well by that fish.

I tried with Oranda and 2 others, once. Years ago, I had Bettas and really enjoyed them. I think even the kid thought they were special to have around. When he was a teenager and there was another little kid in the house, I thought I'd go with goldfish.

The Bettas each had a heater and a little sponge filter in their individual bowls. The 3 goldfish lived (briefly) in a 10 gallon tank with a heater & external filter. They were not large and got no larger :/. I thought I had what was needed for gold fish, for pete's sake! If I'd had a grandpa, I should have turned them over to him!

Steve

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Jack, I think you are doing very well by that fish.

I tried with Oranda and 2 others, once. Years ago, I had Bettas and really enjoyed them. I think even the kid thought they were special to have around. When he was a teenager and there was another little kid in the house, I thought I'd go with goldfish.

The Bettas each had a heater and a little sponge filter in their individual bowls. The 3 goldfish lived (briefly) in a 10 gallon tank with a heater & external filter. They were not large and got no larger :/. I thought I had what was needed for gold fish, for pete's sake! If I'd had a grandpa, I should have turned them over to him!

Steve
Steve,

Goldfish produce a lot of ammonia and need frequent partial water exchanges, or they will perish regardless of the size of the tank and filter. And, being cold water fish they do not need a heater, but prefer cooler water. We have Moby Dick all alone in a fifteen gallon tank and he is obviously thriving. Except of course for his weight problem. ;)

Jack B